PSU Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardesco

I've been having the occasional BSOD, it doesn't seem to have any degree of rhyme or reason, except that it usually happens when I'm watching a youtube video/browsing the web, or playing a video game.

System specs:
ASUS M2N-sli deluxe mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ socket AM2
2 Gig OCZ DDR2 SDRAM 800 Mhz
Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 MB
SeaSonic S-12-500 500W PS
2 hard drives (both western digital)
DVD/CD burner.

What initially made me think that this was a power supply issue is because I used to have an nvidia 7900gt, but it eventually died (and I had an occasional freeze or two similar to what I have now). I had an 8500gs in the interim, and I didn't really have any blue screen issues. Now, with my 8800 gts, I get these occasional blue screens again. Is my power supply sufficient for this situation? I'm trying to rule out which pieces of hardware could be causing the problem.

As an additional note, the type of freeze would usually be a hard lockup, with the sound stuttering on whatever was playing last, and the video image frozen on what I was playing/watching.

Your psu has 33amps. How long have you had it? If the same thing has happened with the 7900GT maybe something else?
7900GT = 22AMPS
8800GTS = 26-28AMPS

Do you have the extra power connection hooked-up to the card? All 3 cards require one.

I've had it a little over a year now. The thing is, the freezes with the 7900gt were very infrequent, maybe once every half week/week. Nowadays, however, I can pretty much expect a freeze every day/other day. I also have the extra power thingie connected to the card as well.

Oh, in the OP, I had an 8500gs, which didn't require a power hookup.

So, I got a BSOD and a related mini-dump for what seems to more or less be the same problem...if someone could analyze it and let me know what the issue is, I'd really appreciate it.

Since the freezes never occurred when you were using an 8500GT, which pulls a lot less power than both of the other cards you are\were using, I'd be inclined to say it's the PSU. Get a good replacement and you'll be fine. Seasonic PSUs are always top-of-the-line, but everyone produces a bad one once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back