PSU probs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I return from work and fire up the machine, I spent about an hour listening to music,browsing the web.. I then decide to burn an audio CD,(NERO 7.6.9)...
I arrange my tracks and hit "burn" then as I walk out of the room I hear my drive rpms climbing,(as if beginning the burning process)..when all of the sudden it just shuts down... I immediately try to power it back on numerous times and get nothing...
I swap outlets and still nothing..finally I switch the power off (via the PSU itself) then back on and it starts back up again... the PSU is a 650w Antec True Power Trio, I purchased it about 5 months ago after my original (antec 350w)failed..and have had no problems since..until today...

machine specs:
Winxp pro sp2
Athlon 64 3200+
MSI neo4 platinum mobo
1 gig crucial/corsair ram (cant remember which brand)
Antec 650w true power trio PSU

any insight/ideas would be greatly appreciated:)

Sometimes it can be the device. Optical drives are very poorly built with the electrical components they use. Check there first. You might trade out with another unit to see if there is a difference. If it is old, age alone can cause difficulties... because there are no protective circuits of note.
With everything working just wrong... DVD, sound card, motherboard, hard drive, and memory, perhaps it had a power spike.... the Antecs at that price and power output, it should not have happened. If new, you might want to talk to the vendor

Well after posting I repeated the burn process without failure, I'm thinking theres a good chance it is the burner itself though I was unaware that an optical drive could shut the computer down? and am still concerned as to why it would not power back on
for a bit after crashing.... maybe some kind of safety feature in the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back