PxHelp20.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1N3tIc [0N3]

running Windows XP Media Center w/SP2, Pentium M 1.86G, 1G DDR2 RAM.

Windows will not recognize any CD/DVD drive that is installed. The drive icon doesn't appear in "My Computer" under "Devices with removable storage".

Event Viewer/System: Event Id 7026, Error, "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: PxHelp20"

Device Manager/DVD_CD-ROM drives: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)

<< Ok, I've searched high and low for this file which is a .sys file. I always come to a website that wants me to pay for the file. I copied my buddies PxHelp20.sys file and installed it in the proper file (%systemroot%/WINDOWS/system32/drivers), but alas it's device specific. This I know because after placing said file in the drivers folder and restarting, windows would not boot. All is well now though. The drive worked when I used it to boot from.

I've searched the manufacturers website, Philips, to no avail.
I don't necessarily need the answer, just point me in the right direction. I am an aspiring geek although not being able to figure this one out on my own has severely deminished what little cred I have.

I see alot of "views" for this thread but no posts. That's ok because I've figured it out. Apparently when deleting certain media playback applications the file in question, PxHelp20.sys, is also deleted. This file is created by the application. In deleting this file the OS gets confused: trying to load a driver file that isn't there anymore. I had to delete the LowerFilter and UpperFilter keys in the registry. Now my drives are recognized by the OS. Also, when deleting these keys your current burning software may not work correctly. Simply uninstall then reinstall the software.

Microsoft Article ID: 314060

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found Microsoft Article ID: 314060 which illustrates how to remove the UpperFilters & LowerFilters from the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back