Question about my stress test results for GTX 770

boagz

I recently built a computer with the asus OCII GTX 770 gpu and ran a quick stress test with msi kombustor. I set the setting to no anti-aliasing and 720p resolution (not full screen) and ran the furry and tessy (gl4) stress test. At about 7 minutes my gpu got up to about 83 degrees C with fan speed at 100 percent. I stopped the test as I still don't know too much about stress testing and how hot I should really let my GPU get. I know the NVidia website says the max this card can take is about 98 C but I was wondering if at 7 minutes, 83 degrees C was normal or if that is too hot even for this stress test. Thank you.

For a stress test, that's pretty normal on an GPU like that, stress testing pushes the GPU to it limits which most of the time is more than games will even push it. As long as your temp stays below the threshold NVidia says (Which in your case is 98) then your fine. I would however, if you want to improve the temp, see if you can improve the airflow around the GPU area, the Asus Cooling system is pulling in air and pushing it down on the GPU which means you have to move the air once its been pushed over the card. I would try adding a fan around the GPU exhausting if your worried.

But honestly, your fine.

Okay, thank you for your response. I'm still pretty new to this stuff so just wanted to make sure.

No problem, I understand your feeling because its so odd when comparing CPU, GPU, and other temps because each area has a different max and you never know whats good or bad until you research it.

For instance, my HD 6990's when they had the fans would idle in the 40-low 50 sometimes on auto and under game load would hit an excess of 88 degrees (sometimes higher). I was shocked at the temps of the GPU's on the board and tried different solutions, one of which was putting a higher RPM fan underneath the GPU's to push the hot air past them faster which dropped me about 4-5 degrees (until I went liquid on them). GPU's in general tend to run hot especially when overclocked even with better cooling solutions, its just the nature of the GPU.

If your worried, try MSI Afterburner and set the on screen display to show your GPU temps. You can watch it while gaming if your worried that the temps are too high then make adjustments accordingly. But again, your temps seem rather normal for that GPU especially since its the overclocked version and that stress test push more things to higher temps than games will.

Okay great. And I see you mentioned you added liquid cooling to the GPU. Is it difficult to add aftermarket coolers to your GPU? Can you use the same aftermarket coolers that you would use for the CPU or are there separate GPU coolers? Just in case I want to have my GPU run a bit cooler.

GPUs tend to get very hot since they calculate large amounts of data very quickly. I wouldnt worry about anything <90C. Do not liquid cool unless you have >1 GPU.

Well I only ran the stress test for 7 minutes cause I was worried about it getting any hotter. I read on some forums that people are running it for at least 30 min to an hour. Is 7 minutes enough time to be confident of my card? I think if I ran it for longer I definitely woulda gotten higher temps.

Back