question for you registry wizards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradthegreat

here's the deal - I work in IT at a company that has a domain server setup. Each user has their own logon name and password and can log on to any computer that is on the domain.

what I want is to make it so the last person who used the computer does not have their name displayed in the logon screen when the next user signs on. It may sound confusing, but bear with me.

so far, I found the registry value that I can change to make the name disappear. I have a screen capture of it, but I can't figure out how to attach it. It is at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. I want to change the "DefaultUserName" to be blank. This is what I have done so far:

1. tried to find a script that could do it, but I don't do scripting, so gave up
2. exported the whole "Winlogon" key and used that to replace the registry when I needed

I think the exporting has some potential, but I don't want to replace the whole winlogon folder, just 2 keys. Is it possible to just replace DefaultUserName and AltDefaultUserName by running one program? I can run the folder that I exported and it will replace all of the "Winlogon" key, but that is not acceptable for me. If someone could let me know how to attach pics, I could be more understandable. If it is impossible to understand me, let me know and I will try to be better...

To attach a pic click on Manage Attachments below the active window.

To embed a pic in this window you need to have an on-line pic storage site.
You use the
yourpic

For example right click on the pic below and select properties.

SharkHeli.jpg

Cheers.

dontdisplaylastusername

Actually it's simpler than replacing the Winlogin keys... the following would only have to be done once per machine to disable display of last user.

Contents of whatever.reg file.
-----------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
"dontdisplaylastusername"=dword:00000001
-----------------------------

Is this an NT domain not using policies, or an Active Directory not using GPOs?

Regards

samstoned, you are awesome. That is exactly what I wanted to find out how to do. thank you very much, sir.

thanks too kirock. I'll have to get some kind of storage then.

PDusome: actually, I just want to get certain users to have this priviledge - specifically the administrators. The domain has all sorts of security policies in place, so I just want a quick way to have admins be able to have that. I think I will include something like this in the individual policies. If that doesn't work, I'll see what just disabling it on all machines will do. thank you for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back