Questions about webcams and monitors

Hi guys

I have a few questions about webcams and their capabilities, and using tvs as computer monitors.

My first question is: can a webcam with a usb connection be used directly with an old CRT television? If not, is there a reasonably priced adapter I can get that will allow me to do this?

My second question: is there a way I can set up said television as a computer monitor? Image quality is not an issue. And then, is it possible to run multiple tv/monitors from the one computer?

Third question: can I run more than one webcam on a single computer? This is the same webcam with usb connection from earlier. Could I, potentially, say, run 3 webcams on the one computer?

I guess, from what I have asked, you have probably worked out that I am trying to get a set up of 3 screens, probably either old tv or monitors, that are each showing an image from 3 webcams, without having to have 3 separate computers....

Any help on any of these matters would be thoroughly appreciated.

well the easiest one to answer is using a computer with a tv, yes its easy and works exactly the same way you use it with a normal monitor but it depends 1. what plugs does the tv have (HTMI, VGA or DVI) 2. what graphics card do you have on you computer right now (because it is possible with older cards but can be buggy) and 3. how many tv screens you want to hook up to your computer (may need dual graphic cards)

I just recently hooked up my gaming pc to a 50inch plasma and was playing metro 2033 and watching blueray movies and worked perfectly (actually runs at a lower resolution then normal computer monitors so it runs faster)

Can you say what input/output sockets you have on the 'old CRT TV' ?
If you have a composite, (RCA/phono) input then it MAY BE just about possible to connect a PC, with an adapter, such as a 'Dazzle' adapter.
All PC's output images in a very basic way, R/G/B, and TV's have SCART (Peritel) input/output, so in theory, it's just about possible.
But price of flat screens is falling steadily, and that may be the cheaper option.

My first question is: can a webcam with a usb connection be used directly with an old CRT television? If not, is there a reasonably priced adapter I can get that will allow me to do this?
If I understand your question correctly, you can't connect a USB webcam to an old CRT TV. The webcam needs to connect to a mchine with a processor and appropriate drivers to "talk" to the cam and get it to work. You must connect your cam to a computer

Back