Quicken Willmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyJ

My husband and I are interested in creating a Living Will. I have read good reviews about Quicken Willmaker 2009 and was wondering if we get this program or another one similar, how do we make it leagal? Has anyone used this program and if so, could you explain how it works. Thanks for your time.

Living Will is ok for normal assets, and the usual numbers of family and children., but once you get it all figgered out, and argued and disgussed and disgusted, if you have any assets or children, run it by an attorney to avoid regrets or problems for those named in your will.
State and local laws will screw up a lot of will software, and the thing you want to avoid most after you are gone are the greedy lawyers assigned by their friends, the judges of the courts during probate.
The best thing about Living Will is that it makes you think, and helps get everything in order so you do not have to pay lawyers $250 to $400 an hour to ask you questions to which you already know the answers.
I am not a lawyer. Don't like them. But I have lived through the painful surprise of the death of a spouse, mother, father, grandfather, grandmother, wife's relatives. It can become suprisingly ugly.
You may know what to do. But supposing you get hit by a truck. Are all the people in your family tough enough to deal with all the difficulties that arise at a time when they are filled with grief or anger.

No experience with the Quicken program but i'd also be more concerned with making sure the document itself is accurate and binding
1) It's worth talking to a lawyer first. The first consultation should be free (go somewhere else if that's not how they work)
2) Most lawyers (certainly here and many other places) should be able to quote you a fixed price for creating the living will (and get the price in writing)
3) That price should include transferring title of real estate property into the trust
4) Note: You should be able to easily re-title / submit the documentation for all your other stuff yourself (lawyer would charge extra.. and it's not hard to do yourself)
> Autos
> Bank Accounts
> Investments, IRAs, 401Ks, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back