Raid 0 Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppetgrimm1

I set up a raid 0 set of two harddrives and have recently noticed my computer has slowed down considerable. Anyway with that said I was wondering what I can do too get that extra performance back. Maybe get a new raid card I'm using a cheap one now or could you possible recomend one. Also should i delete the raid set and format the two harddrives start over from scratch. Could it possible be the HardDrive? I have two 80 GB harddrives ones a western digital dont know what the other one is.

Late
Puppetgrimm1

I'm sure that maybe the issue for some harddrives but when I first set up Raid 0 "More then a two years ago" There was an incredible boost in performance at least 20% as an example installing windows XP Pro took only half the time now though It's dragin *** Personal I think its the Raid Card "Cheap one $20" but wanted to see if I could get better performance with some of your suggestions or anybody else.

Thank for your input!
Late
Puppetgrimm1

Your cheap card is probably "WinRAID" and not true hardware RAID. Basically you have a cheap (slow) IDE controller with drivers doing the striping (using your system CPU and RAM).

Nodsu said:
Your cheap card is probably "WinRAID" and not true hardware RAID. Basically you have a cheap (slow) IDE controller with drivers doing the striping (using your system CPU and RAM).

Actually you Maybe right its a silicon image sil 0680 ultra-133 medley ataraid controler. Can you suggest a hardware raid card that would perform better, what I should look for etc...

LAte
Puppetgrimm1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back