RAID O setup on Gigabyte P55A-UD6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodancer

Just got a new P55A-UD6 and two SATA3 6GB/s drives and would like to do a fresh RAID O and OS installation. Sure I will connect the two drives to SATA connectors "GSATA_6" and "GSATA_7" which are controlled by Marvell chip (for SATA3 6GB/s). Then I go to the BIOS / Integrated Peripherals / GSATA 6_7 Controller and make it "Enabled". Then to GSATA 6_7 Ctrl Mode.

Now the question is: in GSATA 6_7 Ctrl Mode, which option should I choose for RAID O setup? It only has "IDE" and "AHCI" but NO "RAID" option???

To cut the long story short, how do I enable the RAID funtion on Marvell 9128 chip?

Gigabyte's manual should cover RAID setup. I've owned a few gigabyte boards, and they always cover RAID setups quite well.

The other possibility is that RAID might not be enabled for that 2 SATA ports. Not all SATA ports are covered by the NB, which is why they usually have different colours.

Be careful! Even MS doesn't recommend the boot disk use RAID of any kind.
1) Raid is a server technology, not client like our home systems,
2) any failure on a Raid-0 is a total loss and you need to not only replace the failed
HD but also reinstall the OS (and all other software) and then perform a RESTORE
(assuming you have one).

Raid-0 is such a trivial improvement, especially with only two devices, is it really worth the effort and risk?

Caveat Emptor!! :(

Although I also don't recommend RAID 0, if you still want to do it, look at page 101 of the P55A-UD6 motherboard manual. The BIOS setup starts there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back