RAM not speeding up computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I just installed 2gb of CORSAIR D400 VS2GBKIT400C3 RAM on my MSI PM8M-V mobo (a much needed upgrade from 512mb). It is nice and compatible, is recognized on my system specs as 2gb and all, but does not seem to be speeding up my computer. It still struggles with autoplaying external HDs, and still does the little flashlight searching for contents when opening Control Panel, which is certainly not what I would expect from 2gb of RAM. I've already tried to adjust the paging file size of C:\ , but to no avail (as of just yet).

You have to reboot for page file allocation changes to take effect.

Have you defragged and run CCleaner?

How would I go about doing that? I visited the Corsair site and they didn't have any information about power used. Is it on my computer somewhere?

You can get your mobo default ram voltage setting from the MSI site or your own Bios - since I would not have bought Ram from anyone that didn't advertise the specs, including voltage, I cannot help you with the Corsair.

Email them!

And see my edit above.

General Information
Manufacturer Corsair Memory
Manufacturer Part Number VS2GBKIT400C3
Manufacturer Website Address www.corsairmicro.com
Product Line Value Select
Product Name Value Select 2GB DDR SDRAM Memory Module
Marketing Information

The Value Select line provides quality, tested, compatible desktop memory at competitive prices. The Value Select line is qualified for major current desktop systems. All Value Select modules are backed by Corsair's comprehensive warranty.
Technical Information
Memory Size 2GB
Memory Technology DDR SDRAM
Number of Modules 2 x 1GB
Memory Speed 400MHz DDR400/PC3200
Module Configuration 128M x 64
Error Checking Non-ECC
Signal Processing Unbuffered
CAS Latency CL3
Power Description
Input Voltage 2.5V DC
Physical Characteristics
Form Factor 184-pin

I C:\ only has 11% free space if it is relevant
I believe so
You should backup your data to external media (ie DVD or external Drive)
Run CCleaner (as recommended by CCT earlier)
Then check again how much space you have left
Or decide on purchasing a larger volume HardDrive

And then Defrag!

If i could add to some of the advice and outline;
1. What operating system are you running. i don't think i saw it listed
2. Just what is your pagefile currently set to?? (you didn't indicate the value you used). And go check what you you think it is
3. As pointed out, you need to free up disk space and then defrag your disk. Running CCleaner will help clean up some of that space
4. Go the msi support under support to use their online tool and see if it suggests a BIOS update. And check its memory settings
5. Use Everest Home Edition to provide better specs
Download from here and run it
- Click Reports->Report Wizard
- Get a Custom report in plain text, select Computer, Motherboard and Storage
- Attach the file to a post back here​

LookinAround:
1. Windows XP Pro SP3
2. I have now realized that even though I manually set the page file to 4096mb (I get an error message if I set it higher) for both initial and max size; after I reboot, the size it reads (in performance options under the advanced tab) for "Total paging file size for all drives" is still 2046mb, the minimum. For the record, yes I am sure that I pressed OK and apply at all junctures possible.
3. I freed up that space and defragged, no difference.
4. BIOS is up to date, memory is fully compatible (supports 2.5V)

It didn't really speed up mine, it just doesn't slow down any more. Also you may have a bad processor. I just did mine yesterday, 512-2gb and it is faster, but not much.

I'd suggest making your Pagefile 2000, Min and Max, in Xp
That's the maximum it will utilize anyway

Typically i've seen, can't say always, noticeable improvement on that first jump from 512 to 1GB or so on XP after that becomes less noticeable and a function of some of the apps you run.

Suggest you also now defrag the pagefile itself (see here) after tryin to make as much free space and defragged space on your hard drive

Also, start looking at what your CPU is doing with its time when you're idling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back