RAM not working properly :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone.

lately i noticed problems while playing games. after a few minutes my frames would drop MAJORLY! im talking from around 100 down to 2 and 3 frames a second! :O so ive been looking into possible problems and along the way i found cpu-z, the program which gives you your computer stats etc. and i found that my RAM frequency is 250.0 Mhz with a max bandwidth of 266 Mhz.

i am puzzled by this because i have 1024mb DDR2 533 :$

i run a -
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
Asus M2V-TVM
1024 DDR2 533
512 ATI Radeon X1600

can anyone help or at least shed some light on this? i looked in my bios for an option to change the frequency but came up with nothing.

thanks. :)

Yes. You see with DDR2 this is normal. DDR2 means dual data rate 2. Since your 533mhz is "dual data 2" it's split into 2 lanes of frequency. It's like a 2 lane highway. You've got data running twice at the same time. This gives you good performance because you have 2 streams of data working for you, instead of one. But it is at the cost of dividing the speed of your ram by 2. I don't know why you are getting only 250mhz instead of 266mhz. As far as your frame rate dropping that massively, that's a different situation. Does this only happen occasionally when the game is not hot and heavy but during periods of loading or other such stuff. If your frames went down to 2 or 3 per sec. during play, you would see a MAJOR change in the 'moving picture'.

ahhh ok. thanks for that. i never actually new what happened with ddr2.

hmmm... yes the framerate. it used to happen a lot. i would open up battlefield 2 and everything would be cool but after i had been playing for about 3-4 mins it would just go down to the 2 and 3 frames a second. the thing is, if i paused it and left it for say 5 mins, i would be able to play fine again for another few minutes. i thought that perhaps it was a power problem so i removed my second dvd drive, my internal modem and my floppy drive. everything worked fine for a while but now its back. i lag in much more simple games like frets on fire and trackmania nations.

oh and yes, it was a MAJOR change in the 'moving picture' if you could call it a moving picture....

got any ideas? should i invest in a new psu?

frame rates are affected mostly by your graphics card and CPU. Ram has very little affect. Please read the gaming guide in the guides forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back