RAM Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Seuss

im starting to get confused about RAM and especially what RAM i need to make my computer perform at its best.
i currently have an INTEL P4 3.0GHz 800MHz HT Processor mounted on an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard and 2x512Gb PC2700 DDR333

i know i want to upgrade to PC3200 DDR400 RAM but i want to take advantage of my processors HT technology and i dont really understand DDR2, do i need it? is it compatible with what i have? can anyone help me out?

Many Thanks

Dr_Seuss

Ok then, as I can see your board is not compatible with DDR2. DDR2 is a fairly new thing that is only starting to be incorperated into certain boards. What I suggest you do is install a minimum requirement so you don't degrade your existing processor performance. Although having a fast processor with out the right amount of memory you could actually be reducing the speeds on RAM alone.

DDR2 is meant to be the next level in RAM speeds but it fairly uncommon at the moment. What I suggest is you install at least 1GB of PC3200. You could go for one stick or you could go for 2 512s and run it on dual channel. But for the moment it might be good to go for the 1GB because it allows more upgrading flexibility as apposed to buying 512s and wanting to use to full capacity and ending up with RAM that you won't be using.

I might be wrong on this, if I am Im sorry and it'll be good to get everyone involved on getting your computer running at its peak. :)

Dr_Seuss said:
im starting to get confused about RAM and especially what RAM i need to make my computer perform at its best.
i currently have an INTEL P4 3.0GHz 800MHz HT Processor mounted on an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard and 2x512Gb PC2700 DDR333

i know i want to upgrade to PC3200 DDR400 RAM but i want to take advantage of my processors HT technology and i dont really understand DDR2, do i need it? is it compatible with what i have? can anyone help me out?

Many Thanks

Dr_Seuss
Hold on a minute!!Make sure both your motherboard and processor support ddr400 (pc3200) because right now you are using ddr333 (pc2700). If you buy ddr400 and your mobo/cpu can only take ddr333, the ddr400 will run at drr333

4gb

Your mobo will run up to 4GB of PC3200 DDR400 RAM. It isn't set up for DDR2, but I don't know that DDR2 is that much better, anyway. Your 800MHz P4 will handle the PC3200 fine. :wave:

Cheers for the help guys....just one last thing, is it better to have 1x 1Gb DDR400 RAM or 2x512Mb DDR400?

Many Thanks

Dr_Seuss

koowul

Happy to help. I am not an expert on these things, but I have heard that things go better with 2x512's, rather than 1x1024. Not sure of the reasoning, perhaps a dual-channel issue. Just be sure to get two "matched" sticks to prevent compatibility problems. Go get 'em!! :knock: :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back