Random 1-3 second black screens when playing Battlefield 1

Tommygunn

I am having continued issues with random, short duration black screens in BF1. I have no idea what the cause is and I've tried 144Hz, 120Hz and 100Hz and it happens randomly and multiple times on each.

My specs are as follows:
Viewsonic XG2401 1080/144Hz
Ryzen 5 1600
G.Skill 16Gb 2400MHz
XFX RX580 8Gb

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can resolve it?

Cheers,
Tom.

Check for something running in the background - I found a system notice pop-up window that kept initializing and also, the status report from my backup service.

It would appear to be a known driver issue so I've had to go back, as someone suggested, to 17.1.1. Things seem to be ok now.

Tom.

All other drivers up to date.
I've tried many of the updates for my GPU, post 17.1.1 including the latest, and they all exhibit the same problem.

Tom.

I've just done a DDU and updated to 17.12.2 and now I'm having the problem with BFBC2. Granted I was having hard crashes with BFBC2 before so not all bad;)

Tom.

Tom, just to be sure I understand. You are having short 'black screen' issues while playing all types of games. You did a DDU and a clean install of the AMD current driver.

Have you tracked temperatures? If not try something like MSI Afterburner (not for overclocking - just for seeing state of machine). If you can run the utility in a second monitor, you can see what is happening as you game.

Also, check XFX for support for your card...might be a maker's issue.

In the past hour I have removed and re-seated the g/card and my problems seem to have gone away! Could it really be that simple, a bad contact?

I have been keeping an eye on the temps and here's a snap shot after about ten minutes of play on BF1 at Ultra settings, nothing out of the ordinary.

Tom.

Reseating can work. I once found a bit of wire down in a slot which was a problem I chased for a couple of weeks. When in doubt, use strong light and magnification (works for politicians, too).

Back