Random BSOD in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timberhill

Hi

My first post in your fourum, so excuse me if I have left out anything important... :)

I have what looks like ramdom BSODs in Windows 7.
My coumputer is a HP Business Notebook 6735b (KU214ET#ABN)
It came with Vista Business as default OS, and I have tried Windows 7 Beta. Both of these worked fine, no crashes.

But when I started using Win 7 RC, and finally the finished Win 7, my problems started. Random BSODs (Can be while surfing, downloading, doing nothing...). Attached is the two latest minidumps.

CPU: AMD Turion X2 ZM-82
GPU: Radeom Mobile HD3200
RAM: 2x2GB
Disk: 250GB 5400rpm
PSU: default HP

Latest BSOD Windows message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1044

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C000001D
BCP2: 8F2753D6
BCP3: 8292BC28
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\091609-25989-01.dmp
C:\Users\Runar\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-45068-0.sysdata.xml

Thank you very much in advance for any help!
Regards
Runar

Both errors are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are especially strong indicators of corrupted memory.

Unfortunately the dumps only list hardware as the probable cause without anything specifically cited.

However, with your error codes in light of persistently random BSODs this points to corrupted memory. To determine if this is indeed the case you will need to run Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I will run Memtest tonight, and post back the results.

Strange though, I have run Vista for several months with the same configuration without any problems....
:)

Its not a Vista thing, it is a hardware issue -- at least at this point that is what the symptoms are indicating especially in light of 0x8E error codes.

So, I have run Memtest for more than 7 passes on each memory modul. No errors...
I was really hoping it would be that "simple".

An other thing I could mention, don't know if it is any connection.
I have had some trouble with my wireless network card. According to HP, a strange sound-problem I had was related to the 802.11a band on the card. I have replaced it, but now I have some strange logon-problems on my network. It disconnects when going "to sleep",and there is problems logging on after reboot. Sometimes I have to disable the card, and enable it to get it to work.

I attach some more minidumps, if that can help.
Any other information I can find that could be helpful?

Thank you very much!

All are 0x8E errors and all simply state your issue is hardware. One thing I didn't mention before is that sometimes these errors can be caused by drivers. I am wondering if your Windows 7 and the drivers for your wireless card aren't playing nice together.

The thing is hardware has been cited in each and every one of your minidump reads. I would contact HP again and tell them of your continued issues along with the fact that all of your minidumps were read and all cited hardware.

Let us know how it goes. By the way, nice laptop. :)

Hi

Thank you again.
I have opened a supportcase with HP, and hope that they are willing to help.
They are not obligated to do so with Windows 7 I think...

I will post back when I have heard from HP.

Ps
I am really pleased with this laptop. Great screen, and really solid. Could be a bit better graphics and CPU, but it works for me.

Since this happened when you upgraded to Win7, the most liekly causes are either incompatible device driver(s) or corrupt file system.

An incompatible device driver makes the most sense. Win7 is brand new so you can't expect 3rd party device drivers to be well developed yet. I might suggest to re-install any devices drivers from the manufacturer's web site to make sure you have the latest for each device to be sure.

A distant second possiblity is a corrupt file systems. Since it's an upgrade (I presume) there is the chance the file system is corrupted in one or more places. You need to run CHKDSK from bootrec on the Windows installation DVD.

Get back with results.

-- Andy

This is not an upgrade, it is a clean install.
More strange is it that as I said in my first post, this problem started with Win 7 RC and Win Final (Pro). Win 7 Beta worked fine for a a couple of months.

I have also tried all device-drivers from HP, no help.
I am thinking of replacing the WiFi card, to a Intel 5300 card (have Broadcom now), to see if that might help.

One thing I haven't mentioned before, in every BSOD there is one file listed, AMDPPM.SYS.
Does that tell you anything?
:confused:

The best I can say at this point without working on it firsthand, is that there is a device driver issue with Win7 RC/Final and the device driver needs to be updated. I remember when Vista came out, it took almost a year for all the manufacturers to get all their device drivers compatible. Most drivers will be ready, but there is likely one that isn't and causing you grief.

I just did a Google on AMDPPM.SYS and it's a Windows driver file. Can you revert to Win7 Beta for now?

-- Andy

Ok, I understand.
But no, Win 7 Beta is expired, so I am stuck with the final version.

I'll post back when I have tried a new network card, or have any news from HP.

Thank you very much for all yout help so far.

Yes, I re-read your earlier post and it sounds like a good idea to try alternate devices or uninstall optional ones. See if the problem disappears.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back