Random freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

About a week ago my system froze while playing a game, it had never done this before during the 2 years I've had it and when I tried to reboot there was dots going in symmetrical lines all over the motherboard and windows bootscreen (not in bios and not on post). It managed to boot in safemode, I checked temperatures and everything seemed normal. After a couple restarts the dots disappeared and I could boot normally.

This problem have since come back a couple times a day. Sometimes I can play for hours before it crash sometimes it crash almost immediately. It seems to almost only crash in games but that can be because when the computer is on I'll probably be playing a game :)

When this problem occurs it can always boot into safe mode, can't boot normally and it always works to boot normally if I uninstall my graphics drivers first. When it fails to boot it comes to the windows loading screen and then it dissapears and seems to freeze leaving only these dots going in symmetrical lines on the screen.

I've tried cleaning away dust, increasing fan speeds to try and ensure that it's not a temperature issue and I don't think it is. I've ran prime95 for 6+ hours on 2 occasions without graphics drivers without crash or error. I've ran a hd test without errors. I've disconnected everything that doesn't need to be connected (like cd player, extra hdd etc).

My parts are:
Gainward 9800GTX
Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
2xOCZ DDR2 PC6400 2gb
Corsair 550W
Windows Vista 64-bit

The dots on screen and the fact it works without drivers/safemode and seems to be stable in prime95 leads me to believe the graphics card is broken. But I would like to hear what you guys think before I order a new one, and if you have any ideas on what else it could be.

Thanks in advance!

After two years of operations, there is a good chance that your video graphics card has failed, or if the computer is older than two years, that your hard drive is starting to go...
Tell us more about age and configuration... memory, what programs are installed, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back