Random restarts - event id 1003. Error code 1000000a

Windows XP Pro Sp3
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black
ASROCK M3A785GMH/128M
4Gb Corsair DDR3 (2 x 2048MB) 1333MHz TW3X4G1333C9A

Please can someone help. Since upgrading my hardware (btw, I am on my 2nd set of memory, 2nd motherboard, 2nd PSU), I get random restarts as described in similar posts, but I have a different error code. I wonder if anyone can help me trobleshoot my issue.

My Event ID description is:

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 9d066240, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 80511a31.

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in anticipation.
Ed

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

5 most recent minidumps

Thanks for your advice, Route44.

I have attached a zip file containing my 5 most recent minidumps from the suggested directory.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    126.4 KB · Views: 3
Your issue is with memory corruption as per several of your minidump files. Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Thankyou so much for your advice, Route44.

I will do an overnight Memtest and perform the diagnostics you have suggested.

I have previously used Memtest during an early incarnation of this troublesome upgrade. I originally had an ASUS mobo w/ OCZ memory. Memtest exposed the OCZ memory as corrupt/incompatible and supplier refunded. Replaced with Corsair listed as compatible on Corsair website. Overnight Memtest showed 'No Errors'. Problems continued. Swapped ASUS mobo for ASROCK refered to in initial post. Overnight Memtest showed 'No Errors'. Problems continued. Replaced CoolerMaster 380w PSU with CoolerMaster 550w PSU. After all this I continue to have an unstable system. Just really troublesome random reboots (relentless some days, non existent for the next few days). In the h/ware dept, I am improving cooling. Have a Zalman CNPS8700-LED on order in case of CPU temp issues.

I realise that most of this information probably does not help, but I think I needed to off-load and get it off my chest...

...Thanks for listening.
;)

Will get back to you on diagnostic results.

Cheers again.

Memory errors confirmed

Right ...

I ran Memtest86+ which almost immediately showed memory errors with my existing 2x 2Gb dual channel configuration.

Following this, as per your suggestion, I tested each DIMM independently by installing each DIMM in channel A1. Neither DIMM produced any memory errors independently (?). During testing I noticed that the AMD stock cooler was blowing hot air directly at the closest DIMM, making it very hot and wondered if errors were caused by thermal problems as suspected. Moved both DIMMs to bank B as it is further away from the CPU and installed Zalman CNPS8700 CPU cooler and left DIMMs in back B.

Ran Memetest all night (28 passes) and no errors encountered. Am guessing that I might have had memory seating or thermal problem, although with the long history of problems with this upgrade, I am still not entirely convinced the memory errors will not re-occur. If I see any signs of this, I'll Memtest immediately to establish if I have any intermittent faults with a DIMM.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed, I'm hoping that I now have a stable system, but will keep monitoring things for the time being.

Thanks again for your help, Route44. I think that if I encounter any similar problems in the future I will at least have a good idea that it might well be caused by continued memory issues.

Thanks for getting back to us. Very interesting as it seems the heat may very well have been your issue on the memory. Never ran into this before. Good to know.

Back