Razer intros Naga Hex gaming mouse, launches Synapse 2.0

Jos

Staff

Razer has pulled the curtain on a couple of new products as the Las Vegas Convention Center officially opened its doors to CES 2012 attendees. First up is the Razer Naga Hex, a new gaming mouse that's reminescent of the Razer Naga MMO, except it drops six of the twelve thumb buttons and re-arranges them into a hexagonal pattern. The company says it is targeting the RPG/MOBA gaming crowd with this product -- if you are wondering what MOBA means it stands for 'Multiplayer Online Battle Arena'.

Razer has used a mechanical keys for the thumb buttons to ensure they don’t require too much force to press and execute an action. According to the company, this allows for 250 clicks per minute and a lifecyle of up to 10 million click, which should have gamers' obsessive clicking covered in titles like the upcoming Diablo 3.

The Hex comes with three interchangeable thumb rests of different heights so that users can find the most comfortable grip for themselves. Razer's latest gaming mouse, now available for preorder at $80, will ship at the end of January as one of the first devices supporting Razer Synapse 2.0 -- also launching today.

As previously reported, the revamped Synapse 2.0 service will let Razer device owners store macros, key binds, profiles and other settings into the cloud. The idea is to give users full access to all of their peripheral hardware settings anytime, anywhere. Synapse 2.0 makes the process effortless and saves you time by automatically rebinding all of your custom input settings via a simple login and sync process.

Fresh out of beta, the Razer Synapse 2.0 software is now available for everyone to download. Besides both Hex and MMO Naga gaming mice models, the service is also supported on the new Blade gaming laptop and Razer's Star Wars: The Old Republic gaming peripherals.

Permalink to story.

I've always wanted to try the Razer brand. I personally have a 'G' mouse from Logitech (forgot which one exactly) and love it. Still, give me this in RED and I'll give it a shot.

I might find this mouse a little more useful than the original Naga, as long as they have adjusted the size to fit more average to large hands easily. The original Naga seemed like it was made for kids or very small-handed members of society. Rather disappointing, I was all ready to grab one, then (luckily) I tried one out at a big electronics store. After about 5 minutes my big paws were ready to cramp up, and my poor thumb was ready to retire.

I've owned the orginal Logitech DiNovo set. I've had the MX1000 and the G500 Mouse. Those are great for First-Person Shooters or other games that require a faster, more accurate response. However, I also have the Razer Naga, which I used for World of Warcraft, which it is perfectly suited for. It gives you the options to use your abilities at your "thumb-tip" while freeing up your directional hand to give you greater access to other abilities. To sum it up, instead of just having your abilities limited to the 12 numerical buttons on your keyboard, you can also have macro abilities set to your mouse buttons that act seperately from the keyboard, giving you a total of 24 buttons with easier access and splitting the actions between the hands, allowing for faster reaction time or faster timing between abilities. Would I use it for First-Person Shooters over the G500? No. These mice are being specifically designed for gaming categories. Logitech GSeries being oriented towards FPS and similar games, Razer Naga oriented towards MMO's and similar games, and the Razer Hex being oriented towards RTS & Diablo. Outside of their niche, they would get foul reviews. When used inside their niche, they're irreplaceble.

Back