Razer is working on its own N95 respirator with RGB lighting and a clear plastic faceplate

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Razer is one of the many companies that chipped in to help during the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic by producing masks for those that needed them most. Now, the company is doing so again, but this time with a distinctive Razer flair: meet Project Hazel, a CES concept N95 respirator with a clear plastic shell, RGB lighting, and dual filters.

Unlike Project Brooklyn, it sounds like Hazel is destined to become an actual product. Razer is already working with a team of medical experts and scientists to ensure the mask meets modern Covid-19 protection standards, and it looks like the company actually has a proper prototype on hand.

So, what's different about Hazel? How does it stack up to other N95 respirators on the market? Aside from the Chroma RGB lighting support, Hazel's dual filters use "Active ventilation" to filter air that's being breathed in and out, blocking 95 percent of harmful particles -- including Covid-19.

These filters can be detached, replaced, and recharged at will. Razer is even working on a special charging case with a "UV light interior," capable of killing any bacteria and viruses that might be coating the mask.

As noted before, Project Hazel also has a large, clear-plastic faceplate that lets others see your mouth and nose without being exposed to them. Since most masks are opaque, this could be a nice feature for those who want to be a bit more expressive. At night or in other darker environments, Hazel's built-in RGB lighting can shine on your face and make it a bit easier to see.

Hazel also aims to tackle one of the other minor annoyances facing the mask-wearing public today: voice muffling. When attempting to speak through a traditional N95 respirator, or even a cloth mask, it's sometimes necessary to repeat yourself a few times so you can be understood clearly.

Razer hopes to address this issue by including what it calls "voiceamp" technology. Hazel features a built-in mic and amplifier combo, which can boost the volume and clarity of your voice even with the airtight mask strapped to your face.

We don't know when Project Hazel will come to market, nor do we know what it's official name will be or how much it will cost. It certainly features a lot of cool ideas, though, so we hope it begins shipping out sooner rather than later (and ideally at an affordable price).

Permalink to story.

Covid is real, no doubt, but the narrative and response has been weaponized. The primary objective is to broadly alter the dynamics of human social interaction in public.

While I agree, these mask still have a purpose long after COVID. The air quality in a lot of places is horrible. The fires in California, the cities in China and India, jobs that wearing a mask is considered healthier but not required (auto mechanic, wood worker, etc).

It will remain a useful item for years to come. I’m willing to bet that some people will turn wearing a mask into a new fashion statement as well. This mask by far would be the coolest one on the block.

Covid is real, no doubt, but the narrative and response has been weaponized. The primary objective is to broadly alter the dynamics of human social interaction in public.

This happens when humans don't spread out wide enough. It's chemistry maths and evolution in a repeating format, see history books.
We need to take better precautions, but not all govts are as rock solid as Taiwan. We could have had a world wide lockdown, but, we chose economy. We chose to not have too much debt, only to have 10 lockdowns and 200x more debt. We are all still working, still spreading.
Changing our human social interaction has happened, and will further, some of it long term hopefully. More people working from home, Zoom meetings. Which will mean, less traffic at rush hour, less pollution, possibly a better family life.
But in public will we be stuck with masks? Not that I care abouut wearing a mask, I just think until the number of humans on the planet falls, we will see more of this ahead and them being a daily thing. But of course, you have to capitalize on it with these more fashionable masks, which will require a monthly sub to the filters, which prob aren't 100% recycable.

What I see is covid preventive measures killing people over a seasonal flu. People getting a seasonal flu. They go in and get tested for covid. Next thing you know they are dying of covid. And if that isn't bad enough some take the vaccine and die. This covid pandemic is a scam.
The logic of Qanon. Every government in the world and every health authority in the world is part of the global scam to trick white single men into taking the deadly jab....

One thing is for sure. Internet needs regulation. Fast. These people can't save themselves.

It's a good looking mask but if those filters are proprietary rather than being able to use the OSHA standard, their efficiency will need to be tested and "qualified" by OSHA. I would prefer being able to use the standard filter cartridge (purple is desired) because they are available from a number of different sources and would most likely be more affordable. Also, as with any kind of "face mask" there will need to be a number of different sizes and some way to get them "fit tested", also IAW OSHA standard since everyone's face is shaped differently. People will also need to be warned that their face must be clean shaven. Any growth beyond a day, or a beard or hair that gets between the skin and the mask compromises the seal and significantly reduces efficiency. And lastly, considering the availability of other masks out there, this one will need to have a price point under $50 to be compedative.

All of these are listed in the OSHA guidelines on face masks & filters and easily researchable .....

Last edited:
Random person: Excuse me, but why is your mask blinking red?

Me: I need to connect my face mask to my computer to re-sync the Razer Synapse software....it keeps crashing.

6 months later, warranty ends:
RGB has failed and Razer won't fix the mask because the warranty just ended.

Why would anyone buy this? Why create more garbage? Why people don't think about nature? Do you even realize how much energy and useful resources are wasted because some people buy useless things like this.

What I see is covid preventive measures killing people over a seasonal flu. People getting a seasonal flu. They go in and get tested for covid. Next thing you know they are dying of covid. And if that isn't bad enough some take the vaccine and die. This covid pandemic is a scam.
I mean, it’s not a scam. However is WAY overblown. My take is, if people want to go out, work, camp and risk getting the virus, let them. If not wear a mask and stay home.

Maybe someone knows the answer to the question...
"UV light interior"
Isn't UV light cancerous, even if at low doses if prolonged exposer such as wearing this all day

I mean, it’s not a scam. However is WAY overblown.
The way it is overblown makes it a scam. Just like when you are sold a product and shipped a completely different product. You can't say it is not a scam because you are not getting what is advertised.

The way it is overblown makes it a scam. Just like when you are sold a product and shipped a completely different product. You can't say it is not a scam because you are not getting what is advertised.
I do agree that it does feel overblown sometimes. It also depends on what part of the world you live in too, but the bit you may have forgotten was that COVID-19 was new and unknown at one point. So most governments have been over precautious and I cannot blame them for that.

The article fails to mention basics, such as how much Razer will pay people to wear this. I need to know for my financial planning.

I mean, it’s not a scam. However is WAY overblown. My take is, if people want to go out, work, camp and risk getting the virus, let them. If not wear a mask and stay home.

400k dead in the US alone and our response is hardly WAY overblown, if anything our response has been haphazard and far too limited in many parts of the country. We've lost more in the US in a single year than we lost during WW2 in combat. Talk to/research any actuary or scientist studying mortality the last 12 months and they will confirm the numbers.

On the subject of masks and severity. Most people are not significantly impacted by this virus, true. But a large number ARE significantly impacted by this virus. That's why we should wear masks and be careful, not for ourselves necessarily, but for people who could die. Also spreading the virus more broadly allows for greater chances of mutation. Mutation may reduce or prevent vaccine effectiveness and reduce immunity for people who have had the virus. Basically like what happens with the flu every year.

This whole thing sucks, like many I've barely left my house since last March. Sticking together and looking at the big picture, will help us get through this pandemic more quickly.

We could have had a world wide lockdown, but, we chose economy.

Seriously??? *WHAT* economy? Our economy has been destroyed with little to show for it. Maybe if we weren't sticking Covid patients in nursing homes, or throwing away vaccine shots because Emperor Cuomo doesn't want people "jumping the line", we could be that little bit better. And Cali has it worse.

Back