Re-installing Windows from a clean slate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day, I decided that I would erase all 30 gigs of my hard drive clean. Well, I downloaded DBAN to a floppy and ran it after I saved all the stuff I wanted to keep. After 4 hours and 15 minutes, my hard drive was empty. I didn't think about it at the time, but I thought that I could simply throw the Windows XP CD in the cd rom drive and it would just reboot from that, provided that I set my boot order to CD, Floppy, HDD, Net Boot. When my hard drive was wiped, I guess the driver for my cd rom drive got wiped too. It won't boot from the CD, and I also have a copy of SuSe Linux 10.1, a live OS Distro of Knoppix, and Red Hat Linux 9, and it wouldn't boot from them either. Instead, it simply goes on to a black screen with a single line of text that reads "Operating System not found!" So, I'm in quite a fix. Luckily, I had my dad's laptop to hook up so I could get online and do my schoolwork, but I'd really like to get my comp working again.

Is there a way to put a driver for a CD-ROM drive back on the HDD with floppy or DOS somehow? Or is there another way to get Windows back on it?

boot from CD

Unless you have a Restore type CD that came with your computer, you should be able to boot from a regular Windows XP Home or Pro CD if your CMOS boot sequence set up is CD 1st boot device. If you are using a SATA HD, you should also have your drivers ready to install when asked during the setup. Windows XP Home Edition and Pro are both bootable CD's and your hard drive does not need to have any CD drivers on it. If you install a new HD, it does not have any data on it, let alone drivers for CD units.

yea i doubt that your CD has lost its drivers cause it just make sense..
my guess is that you are trying to use a different XP cd or something because the same thing happend to me a few months back my XP cd was too scratched up for my CD drive to read so i couldnt install it.. so i used a friends XP disc and the disc wouldnt boot all i got was "OS not found" i later found out because there were still some traces of my XP on the HDD i couldnt use his XP disc which was very annoying! But luckily i figured that if my cd drive couldnt read the disc then maybe my DVD drive could (because it has a finer laser beam), and it worked!!

The only thing that i can suggest is flash your BIOS and try again (like with a PC build) the other thing is to plug your HDD to someone elses computer as a slave and format it again.. at least xp will think its formatted it anyway and then it should work the XP setup will promt you to format again once your installing, so do that aswell.
hope this helps

give it a try let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back