Really Wierd Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. I have a problem with either my modem, router, or computer.

I have a Surfboard sb3100 Cable modem hooked onto a Wireless - G broadband Router Model wrt54g. I got everything going smooth but for the past few months I don't know what I did but I can't play any online game. I can't use programs that update themselves. For example, Firefox updates itself. It sudden loses its ability to surf the web. I'm playing warcraft 3: Frozen throne and it has a new patch. I download and install the patch. When I try to connect online it says that I need to manually connect my modem and such when its already connected! I need advice on what to do because sooner or later I won't be able to connect to the internet due to the fact that if firefox patches itself....I'm screwed.

does everything work fine if you restart?

thats pretty puzzling but i got a feeling its a firewall problem

>Wireless - G broadband Router Model wrt54g

UPDATE the firmware!!! Stick with the issue of updating software as it's
better behaved than games -- you'll be able to see results and failures more
distinctly.

"Should" and "is" are two very, very different things.

Update anything that might need updating, including the firmware, even if its probably not the problem. Replacing the hardware should always be your last resort (since its the only solution that costs any money).

Also, do you have any other firewalls or antiviruses screening things? Sometimes overlapping security features kill your system, Symantec is famous for it.

wat kind of anti-virus and firewall software do you have? is your connection to your router wireless are wired? press the windows key on your keyboard+ r to open a run box. type in cmd, then "ipconfig release" minus the quotes. then when that finishes type "ipconfig renew" try that. how often do you diconnect or lose connection?

I don't disconnect from the internet. It just tells me whenever I try to play an online game that I can't connect to the login server or it'll pop out some wierd internet connection problem at me when I can surf the net perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back