Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

Can connect via direct connection, but not with wireless

By Avalanche ยท 7 replies
Nov 10, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. All of a sudden the internet stopped working but I am still able to connect with my laptop after plugging it in directly to the modem and setting up a new secure connection.
    No other device in the house is able to connect wirelessly and I've tried calling my ISP and they can't find a solution either.
    I can't connect via ethernet through the router, only directly through the modem. So I originally thought this was a router issue but I've tried 4 different routers and none of them work.
    It's been working fine for almost a year and now it just stopped?!

Also, when I run a diagnostic it says "DNS server is not responding"
    Pls help me! D:

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 10,880   +903

If ALL devices fail to connect to your router with wifi, but can connect when wired, it's a radio broadcast/wifi bug.
    "DNS no responding" comes two ways;
    1. invalid dns address
    2. tcp malconfigured
    I would get the Make/Model of your router, go to the Internet and find the latest Firmware for your device and install it.

3. holdum323

holdum323 TS Enthusiast Posts: 461   +44

4. jobeard

If multiple devices have the same symptom - - then the solution is NOT at the device level

5. holdum323

holdum323 TS Enthusiast Posts: 461   +44

"I can't connect via ethernet through the router, only directly through the modem. So I originally thought this was a router issue but I've tried 4 different routers and none of them work.
    It's been working fine for almost a year and now it just stopped?!"

"I would get the Make/Model of your router, go to the Internet and find the latest Firmware for your device and install it."
    What all have you tried? Did this start after a Windows update? What OS are you running?

6. jobeard

Different HOW; same make/model but different units OR different vendors?

I'll offer to diagnose the TCP settings, but thought we ought to make sure we're not struggling with a known firmware issue first.

7. jobeard

@Avalanche is it possible that this is your first time installing a router with this ISP? You may have an issue called Hardware Provisioning getting in the way

8. jobeard