Reddit expands user-blocking capabilities to curb harassment and trolling

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Reddit has taken a number of steps over the past several months to keep trolls in check and curb “objectionable” content and behavior. Still, it’s far from a perfect environment which is why the self-proclaimed front page of the Internet has launched a new tool to block offensive members.

The new feature, which expands on an existing option, allows users to block others from within their own inbox. The original tool was focused on blocking private messages but with the update, its behavior can now be applied more broadly according to Reddit user KeyserSosa.

To block a user, simply click or tap the “Block User” button while viewing a reply to a comment in your inbox. Once blocked, you’ll no longer see any comments, posts or messages from the offending user. What’s more, blocking a user is completely silent so they’ll never know if you’ve dropped the ban hammer.

Should you want to unblock someone or view your existing block list, that’s all handled on your preferences page by clicking here.

Reddit said the idea here is to let users decide what their boundaries are; choose what they are and aren’t willing to be exposed or subjected to. Of course, users are still encouraged to report harassment to the team.

The only exceptions to the rule have to do with admins and mods. Specifically, admins will see everything and mods will see content from blocked users only when said content is on a subreddit they moderate.

Permalink to story.

Front page of the internet is Drudge.

Twitter is the little ticker bar on the television news networks.

Reddit is a few levels below this, like the 'local stories' section they cram in next to the pages with the cheap ads.

And then there is Tumblr, which is literally that nonsense that populates the checkout line.

Reddit is defently a cut above Tumblr.

Twitter is the little ticker bar on the television news networks.

Reddit is a few levels below this, like the 'local stories' section they cram in next to the pages with the cheap ads.

And then there is Tumblr, which is literally that nonsense that populates the checkout line.

Reddit is defently a cut above Tumblr.

You haven't seen the comments on many mainstream news websites. Not only do you have every random average Joe commenting but you also have paid shills in any "news" piece involving any country. Look at any article involving Russia and Ukraine. It quickly becomes obvious that countries employ commentors to flush online media outlets with their voice.

You're trying to tell me that the 590th most visited site is more of a front page than the 33rd? Get your head out of the sand.

Why are you even comparing Reddit with other sites? The article was just about their expanded blocking feature.

You haven't seen the comments on many mainstream news websites. Not only do you have every random average Joe commenting but you also have paid shills in any "news" piece involving any country. Look at any article involving Russia and Ukraine. It quickly becomes obvious that countries employ commentors to flush online media outlets with their voice.

I don't even bother with those unless it's a story ripe for flame wars. Lots of entertainment to be had poking the right bee hives.

You forgot to add the "/s".

No, I didn't. I intentionally leave it off most of my sarcastic comments.

Real question.
My net read bar is phys.org, techspot, arstechnica, hackernews, hackaday, Sciam, Scimag, kitco, Nasdaq and Dilbert.

I've been on reddit once for a link to somebody releasing billions of pages of something and embarassing who cares. Left after 5 minutes canadian prime minister something or other.

Is it really worth perusing? Or is it just another supermarket checkout line rag?

Back