Refocused MySpace gains 1 million users, but is a comeback possible?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

MySpace has announced that the site has acquired one million new users since December 2011. In addition to the new users, comScore reported last week that monthly traffic to MySpace had increased in January, marking the first increase in nearly a year, says the New York Times.

Specific Media, led by young investors Tim and Chris Vanderhook and pop star / actor Justin Timberlake purchased MySpace from News Corporation in June 2011 for $35 million. News Corp. paid $580 million for the site in 2005 and although a three-year search advertising deal with Google paid for the purchase, the social network has been in a downward spiral ever since.

The new owners were well aware that the site would no longer be able to compete with the likes of Facebook, Google+ and Twitter and decided to spin the property in a new direction. MySpace has since become a hub for posting and listening to music. MySpace now boasts the largest collection of free music on the web with over 42 million tracks. Competing music service Spotify had roughly 15 million tracks when they launched in the US in July 2011.

The MySpace team credits the recent growth to their new music player that launched in December as well as the site’s integration with Facebook and Twitter. MySpace also inked a deal with Panasonic last month for MySpace TV which will allow commenting on television shows and music videos.

With this new approach, do you think MySpace stands a chance to become relevant once again or have their better days since passed them by?

Permalink to story.

I do miss MySpace, it had a great layout for your profile, I could make all my pics on the main page full screen with my favorite music included. Then FB shut it down pretty much. Which I no longer am a part of from privacy issues.

Why does Justin Timberlake looks like Mark Zuckerberg on that pic?, or it is me?

I MIGHT pop in to MySpace and see what all the palarva is about, I wonder If my account still works? Haven't logged in for 6+ years...

I never understood whypeople stopped using it.. I NEVER have signed up for a FaceBook account.. it wasn't anything like MySpace, yet many claim that is why it folded..?

If so why?

Guess I'll go see what it's all about. Rupert Murdoch's news-slanting operation and MySpace self-publishing never made sense together. Social media? Not what they do or know how to do. The new guys have put MySpace into a different online area so there's no reason why they shouldn't succeed in the short run, at least until the copyright extortionists get them in their sights. More users = more tempting lawfare targets. It's a bit of a double bind for them, I expect.

lol this is kinda funny. Justin plays sean parker... now hes becoming sean parker

Back