Regal Cinemas is closing in the US again due to pandemic

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Cineworld, the UK theater company that owns American movie theater chain Regal Cinemas, is temporarily closing its theaters in the UK and the US due to the pandemic. Cineworld confirmed on Monday it will be suspending operations at all of its 536 Regal theaters in the US effective October 8, 2020.

Movie theaters were among those hardest hit by pandemic shutdown measures in mid-March. Many have since reopened, albeit with social distancing measures in place. But the issue has been compounded by a broader industry shift in which distributors are testing the at-home, on-demand waters. Others, still, have decided to delay the launch of blockbuster films by several months, with some like the new James Bond movie No Time to Die slipping into early 2021.

Cineworld in a Twitter post published on Sunday confirmed the news but noted that a final decision had not yet been reached. That decision came Monday morning...

"Regal will continue to monitor the situation closely and will communicate any future plans to resume operations at the appropriate time, when key markets have more concrete guidance on their reopening status and, in turn, studios are able to bring their pipeline of major releases back to the big screen."

Theaters had countered with some creativity, including screening retro blockbusters like Jaws and Jurassic Park and even offering to let cautious guests rent out theater halls for private screenings.

These temporary Band-Aids have a limit, however, as theaters can only remain shut down for so long before they go belly up and have to toss in the towel.

Masthead credit: wavebreakmedia

Permalink to story.

Not surprising since cinemas are for boomers and covid killed them all.
I mean when prices were right ($6 a ticket, one day a week), I would go with friends and we’re in our 20s. They probably are the main demographic though... As well as parents with kids.

Not surprising since cinemas are for boomers and covid killed them all.
An illuminating look at Covid-induced paranoia, where 0.19% equals 100%.

This closure is yet more evidence that Covid-related shutdowns should be driven by rational cost-benefit analyses, rather than simple hysteria.

This closure is yet more evidence that Covid-related shutdowns should be driven by rational cost-benefit analyses, rather than simple hysteria.

I'm not an infectious diseases doctor or economist but I play one online.

I lost my taste for going to the movies when the multi-plex theater's became all the rage. Such big crowds and prices that were out of this world just killed the enjoyment. I can sit home with my bag(s) of popcorn and watch so many of them on that big 55" TV, not fight the crowds, fall asleep in my recliner without anyone noticing ..... what could be better?!?!?!

I used to love going to the movies... but it's hard to justify paying $50 (or more) for parking, tickets, snacks... when I can watch them at home for the price of my own popcorn...

Even without the pandemic, theatres were slowly declining - I believe this will just hasten the final curtain.

I lost my taste for going to the movies when the multi-plex theater's became all the rage. Such big crowds and prices that were out of this world just killed the enjoyment. I can sit home with my bag(s) of popcorn and watch so many of them on that big 55" TV, not fight the crowds, fall asleep in my recliner without anyone noticing ..... what could be better?!?!?!

Agreed. It was fun going to the movies when you actually went to a movie THEATER. Now they're the size of shipping containers with screens about double the size of a decent sized home HDTV.

I give theaters about another 10 years at most and they'll go the way of video rental stores.

It's too much of a risk to open up society with only a 99.81% chance people won't die of it.

Why go to the theaters when I have a big TV at home?
Why go to dinner when I can cook\order out at home?
Why go out for drinks and maybe dancing when I have a bottle and a 10' x 10' space at home?
Why go to visit family and friends when I can Skype with them?
Why go to a football game? It's on TV.

Im not very religious, but the bible was right. The meek have inherited the Earth.

Cineworld confirmed on Monday it will be suspending operations at all of its 536 Regal theaters in the US

9 months of a pandemic gone mostly unchecked and heading into flu season anyone that didn't see this coming is a fool.

Most wouldnt even get sick if people just did the simple stuff, wear a mask when going places n wash your hands. Its not freakin hard. Ppl who dont do that, likely arent very hygenic to begin with then. All the more reason to wear a mask n wash hands as you never ever know who is clean or not.

The main benefit that I like is not having to deal with the noise from the people sitting next to me. Not to mention I have arguably better sound than most of the theaters in our area except for two exceptions that actually have good sound - at least one of those, IMO, is plagued by noise from adjacent theaters in the multiplex unfortunately.

Agreed. It was fun going to the movies when you actually went to a movie THEATER. Now they're the size of shipping containers with screens about double the size of a decent sized home HDTV.

I give theaters about another 10 years at most and they'll go the way of video rental stores.
10-years is a generous amount of time. For my wife and I, they have already gone the way of video rental stores.

If you actually read the article, you might have notice that is says this:

But the issue has been compounded by a broader industry shift in which distributors are testing the at-home, on-demand waters. Others, still, have decided to delay the launch of blockbuster films by several months, with some like the new James Bond movie No Time to Die slipping into early 2021.

It seems unlikely that you are an industry insider, so you have no understanding of any of the factors that went into this, other than what it says in the article.

Most wouldnt even get sick if people just did the simple stuff, wear a mask when going places n wash your hands. Its not freakin hard. Ppl who dont do that, likely arent very hygenic to begin with then. All the more reason to wear a mask n wash hands as you never ever know who is clean or not.

Get EVERYONE to wear a mask. Good luck on that. Get EVERYONE to take a shower. Wearing masks is not needed if you are hygienic to start with, and be careful. How about we start the whole mask thing over, only this time wear a mask that protects YOU when you wear it, not everyone else. That way, if someone isn't wearing a mask, it's on them. You're safe with the mask that protects you. Village my stern.

Actually enjoyed going to the smaller movie theaters that were dying but got renovated with power recliners (less people but more enjoyable experience), cheaper prices, and advance exact seat reservation.

If you actually read the article, you might have notice that is says this...."

Ah, your position is that the industry isn't suffering because theatres were shut down by law due to Covid -- with many still forcibly closed today -- and the near-total dearth of major Hollywood releases for those which have managed to since reopen; but rather by the gradual increase in straight-to-streaming film releases? Prior to Covid, the biggest Hollywood release to go direct to VOD was, what, "Trolls World Tour"? No, that one was due to Covid also. Interesting position, I must admit.

Actually enjoyed going to the smaller movie theaters that were dying but got renovated with power recliners (less people but more enjoyable experience), cheaper prices, and advance exact seat reservation.
There's one near me that serves decent food and specialty beers. On the other end of the spectrum, The Imax Domes and Super-Emax type theatres are still worth a visit now and then. The industry will adapt, given a chance.

Ah, your position is that the industry isn't suffering because theatres were shut down by law due to Covid -- with many still forcibly closed today -- and the near-total dearth of major Hollywood releases for those which have managed to since reopen; but rather by the gradual increase in straight-to-streaming film releases? Prior to Covid, the biggest Hollywood release to go direct to VOD was, what, "Trolls World Tour"? No, that one was due to Covid also. Interesting position, I must admit.
No, it is the position of the article. Your position is that they were closed down because of Covid. That is a popular position in the media. And what do you keep telling me about the media? Whether it is true or not requires frist-hand knowledge from industry insiders. Otherwise, it is just speculation.

Honestly, the Regal's in my area are the ones that I am most likely to avoid. At least two of them that I know of never mop their floors. Walking on those floors is almost like walking on fly paper for humans because of all the drinks and whatnot that were spilled on them and never cleaned up.

Also, one time, I bought popcorn from one of them, and it was moldy.

These Regals are disgusting.

Back