Removal of Docs from a flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
While deleting files from my USB Flash Drive, I received an error message - The Disk can not be deleted because it is write protected. Please help remove/delete documents from my flash drive?

Does your USB flash drive have a little switch on it that locks it or not? Might wanna check there if so. Check the security permissions on the file, by right clicking it and selecting properties.

1. turn the switch off on the drive OR

2. my computer - properties - flash drive (letter)- turn off the protection there.

You did not mention the manufacturer. SansDisk puts an application on a read only partition of the device that installs and autoruns "U3 Launchpad.exe". Schools, librarys, etc do not allow installation of software on "public" machines. Hence, if you do not remove the included "fluff" on the devices, they can be limited in use. To remedy that particular problem, I googled "U3 Launchpad" and found an "uninstall" utility that eradicated the unwanted extra partition (and associated software) and left the device a simple 1G file repository which is what my grand daughter wanted in the first place. I suggest searching for a similar utility for your particular flash drive.

ah. good advice there bmil - totally overlooked it. I alway buy generic drives. This U3 crap is really annoying..... I'm sure this could be the issue also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back