Repetitive blue screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

owenb

It's the first time I'm posting on troubleshooting forums like this. I'm fed up of this problem and I don't know what to do next.
Since I first installed a fresh copy of windows xp after building the pc myself, I've been getting repetitive BSOD's. I've done some 2 to 3 formats at first to no use, as they keep appearing every now and then.
The most common error was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. But sometimes other errors shown up. Now the blue screen doesn't let me see what type of error it is. This happens even when I'm just surfing the net or chatting.

I attached some dump files for you experts to see, as I don't understand them.

I'm on my work computer right now, so I can't check the dumps, but I can tell you the most common causes that I've seen for that particular error.

-=First is a driver conflict, a pretty simple explanation but never a simple fix. Just make sure you have all the latest drivers or...

-=... It could be overheating. Dusty CPU fans on older CPU's without any countermeasures built-in (and some with) will often cause this error.

-=Or it could also be a chipset or BIOS problem. This is exactly the situation I was in a few weeks ago with my older ABIT FP-IN9 board. Unfortauntely for me, the BIOS for that was desperately difficult to track down. Anyways, long story short, I flashed it and it works flawlessly now.

So there ya go. If I get a chance, I'll look over the dump when I get home to get some more specific information (Or someone else here can do it for me! =D). Either way, I'll follow this thread.

Well I can tell you that a device driver is causing the problem, could be anything. If you go into control panel > admin tools > event viewer > system and right click the error, you can find the id of the driver and try to pinpoint which device is causing the blue screen. My advice is to update your chipset drivers and see if that fixes the problem.

Overheating is surely not the problem as overload, the cpu marks 39*C and as it is a new pc, there won't me enough dust for sure (less than 1 month old).
I will try and download all the latest drivers and install them.
Then I'll see if the problem does continue.

Sry for posting another reply, but EXCellR8 sent a msg. while I was writing the above msg.

How do I identify the id of the driver. There are an amount of numbers like this (eg. 0x1000007f (0x0000000d, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I don't know what they mean. Please help!

I will install the latest drivers.

The dump, with enough digging, will tell you what driver crashed. It should be a *.sys file (EG: cmaudio.sys).

If it doesn't... well, I dunno. I'll have to look at the dumps, or hopefully someone else will since I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

Hi Owen, I've read the MiniDumps for you and ExCellR8 and DarthMonkeys' assumptions were correct with the Driver Related Problem. 2 of those MiniDumps cite the Driver "Sacm2A.sys" which is a USB Cable Modem Driver also 1 other cites "memory corruption" normally related to a Driver Problem

You need to uninstall the USB Drivers and Install the Latest Versions from the Website.

I entered the asus site, but I can't find the updated usb drives. I downloaded the Nvidia Chipset driver package but there is only updates for ethernet, ide and smbus. help please!

mobo: asus p5n-t deluxe

Thanks woody.

No Problem :)

I entered the asus site, but I can't find the updated usb drives. I downloaded the Nvidia Chipset driver package but there is only updates for ethernet, ide and smbus. help please!

mobo: asus p5n-t deluxe

The Best I can suggest is to use Device Manager to update them through there, I had a look for about 5-10 mins but couldn't find any Dead Certain Drivers for your Motherboard

Considering that the errors are because of the usb drivers, sometimes, after I have a blue screen and the pc restarts, I end up without internet(limited or no connectivity). The cable modem is connected with a usb wire and it has its own driver. I tried once or twice to re-install it but it kept doing the same thing every now and then. Now, the solution I find successful is to switch it off and on again, and then it works fine.

I still can't find usb drives for my mobo...!

i'm trying to install the usb driver 2.0 found on the cd, but it says like this:

Windows XP USB2.0 Driver Installation
====================================

Please using Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) or later versions, you DO NOT need to
install this driver, because they already contain software support for USB 2.0.

right now, i'm switching the rams to see if any of them are defective.

are there still any suggestions???

this migt me informative.

today, i got a blue screen telling me that my bios is not acpi compliant.

does that mean that i have to flash the bios or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back