Report claims Apple is looking to bring iPhone manufacturing to the US

midian182

Staff member

One of President-elect Trump’s pre-election promises was to make Apple manufacture its products on US soil instead of China. Now that the Republican is on his way to the White House, such a move could be possible - and it seems an Apple manufacturing partner has been preparing for it.

According to Japanese website Nikkei Asian Review, Apple asked the two firms that assemble the iPhone - Foxconn and Pegatron - to look into assembling the devices in America back in June. Pegatron is said to have rejected the idea due to the increased costs, whereas Foxconn “has been studying the possibility” of opening US-based facilities.

"Apple asked both Foxconn and Pegatron, the two iPhone assemblers, in June to look into making iPhones in the U.S.," an anonymous source told the publication. "Foxconn complied, while Pegatron declined to formulate such a plan due to cost concerns."

It had been suggested that moving production to the US would see the price of Apple products shoot up – the Nikkei’s source said "making iPhones in the US means the cost will more than double.” The Wall Street Journal, meanwhile, recently outlined why Trump’s plan would be impractical, and wouldn’t necessarily create US jobs.

However, some estimates claim that an iPhone assembled in the States would only cost about $30 extra, most of which would be a result of additional transportation expenses arising from shipping parts to the US.

With Apple’s orders making up half of all Foxconn’s business, it’s not surprising that the Taiwanese company is looking into the possibility of a move, rather than face losing Apple as a customer. But whether Trump really does "get Apple to build their damn computers and things in this country instead of in other countries" remains to be seen.

Earlier this week, China promised to cut iPhone and US automobile sales in the country if Trump imposed his promised 45 percent tariff on imports from the Asian nation.

Permalink to story.

Looks like we can drop the progress bar down one line.

CuzzfoeXgAAEeUx.jpg

For someone who claims to know a lot about Business, Trump just doesn't seem to grasp supply chain management or manufacturing in the least bit. What a friggen turd. #notmypresident

Always amusing to watch people who aren't even notable business managers talk smack about guys in the upper echelons of industry. Reminds me of the armchair football coaches who know the game inside and out but somehow never even get tapped for an assistant position. You ever hear back from the Vikings, MonsterZero?

Here's the one that makes me laugh...you will hear some of these tech companies say there aren't enough "skilled workers" in the USA to do these jobs, so they move them overseas, or bring in H1B visa types (which also work for pennies on the dollar, just like their overseas counterparts).
Now, China, for the last 20-30 years or so, has been moving out of the "third world" country status, into an industrial giant. So, where did all their "SKILLED" workers come from? Hello? THEY WERE TRAINED.
Not only that, most of the work building an iPhone is done by AUTOMATION. People are there to snap on cases, check the quality, box & ship them. THAT can be done here in the USA, but, the price of an iPhone will jump up CONSIDERABLY, considering Apple will push for it to be in California, with it's TONS of regulations, labor unions and the like.
You REALLY want to bring manufacturing BACK to the USA?? Simple! Repeal the 16th amendment, implement a fair/flat tax. That brings the money back to the states, eliminates the IRS for the most part, and removes congress/senate from playing footsy with the tax code.

For someone who claims to know a lot about Business, Trump just doesn't seem to grasp supply chain management or manufacturing in the least bit. What a friggen turd. #notmypresident
Trump would love to hire you. Why not simply show him how good you are and how bad he is. Unless... you don't like making money?

Disclaimer... the iPhone an amazing product.

However, their business practices make me hate most everything they represent. Being the most successful (and cash rich company) on earth currently, this SHOULD bring some responsibility too - "with great power comes...". Now I know the Apple has to answer to their shareholders, but when does one say enough is really enough when it comes to the collection and stockpiling of money? The more Apple has, the less others have. Now, since capitalism is driven by profit, they won't change on their own, BUT I hope Trump does implement some changes in the laws to shift the price of doing business in China to end up being MORE expensive then manufacturing here in North America. With out sounding like a communist, Apple simply has too much money and their accumulated wealth needs to be toned down and distributed (NOT given away) through business deals, wages, etc with the people of the USA.

Just my opinion.

Hello $2000 iPhones ?
they are so overpriced and all you gomers buy them anyhow. A 2k phone....you can really brag them. You can say MY PHONE IS MADE IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you think this country stinks. THE USA is the best country in the history of man

Just hire teenagers.

When the choice comes down to making minimum wage or prostitution, suddenly most people wake up and recognize free-market-economics.

Except for these chicks on Rockaway Blvd...

However, their business practices make me hate most everything they represent. Being the most successful (and cash rich company) on earth currently, this SHOULD bring some responsibility too - "with great power comes...". Now I know the Apple has to answer to their shareholders, but when does one say enough is really enough when it comes to the collection and stockpiling of money? The more Apple has, the less others have. Now, since capitalism is driven by profit, they won't change on their own, BUT I hope Trump does implement some changes in the laws to shift the price of doing business in China to end up being MORE expensive then manufacturing here in North America. With out sounding like a communist, Apple simply has too much money and their accumulated wealth needs to be toned down and distributed (NOT given away) through business deals, wages, etc with the people of the USA.

Just my opinion.
The idea of passing laws in the US that favor jobs in the US has been floated before by Obummer - as so many here call him. But since the congress was controlled by Republicans, that was an idea that was quickly dropped. As I see it, it would certainly be interesting if that same idea were floated by Trump - especially if it passed. However, big business lobbyists are still looming around their congressional puppets.

Besides, the conservative Wall Street Journal has said it would not be economical.

Round and round tax laws favoring US jobs go. Where they stop, nobody knows!

#notmypresident

curious... if any other candidate was elected, could others also simply say this? And if so, what does it imply? Does it allow you legally (or ethically) to be excluded from the laws of the land and/or free from any position/stance the president has for the law?
It has been said for many years, though not in its present form. It certainly did not allow those who were saying it then to bypass US laws. And if the election outcome would have been different, it likely would have popped up again, too.

Here's the one that makes me laugh...you will hear some of these tech companies say there aren't enough "skilled workers" in the USA to do these jobs, so they move them overseas, or bring in H1B visa types (which also work for pennies on the dollar, just like their overseas counterparts).
Now, China, for the last 20-30 years or so, has been moving out of the "third world" country status, into an industrial giant. So, where did all their "SKILLED" workers come from? Hello? THEY WERE TRAINED.
Not only that, most of the work building an iPhone is done by AUTOMATION. People are there to snap on cases, check the quality, box & ship them. THAT can be done here in the USA, but, the price of an iPhone will jump up CONSIDERABLY, considering Apple will push for it to be in California, with it's TONS of regulations, labor unions and the like.
You REALLY want to bring manufacturing BACK to the USA?? Simple! Repeal the 16th amendment, implement a fair/flat tax. That brings the money back to the states, eliminates the IRS for the most part, and removes congress/senate from playing footsy with the tax code.
What? You really want to shift more of the burden of paying for things in the US to the Post Office? :)

Seriously, I would love to see true tax reform in the US!

Trump would love to hire you. Why not simply show him how good you are and how bad he is. Unless... you don't like making money?

Trump likes making money, even if it's off the backs of average Americans. Just ask the people who invested into his fake charity and fake college. At least the people from the college just got a settlement for $25 mil from Trump.

There's been a billion signs that Trump only cares about himself winning. I just gave you some clues, him not turning his company to a blind trust and even going so far as to give it to his kids and give them top security clearance is another huge clue. There's a reason president's turn over their business when they get into office, it gives your business an advantage over any other. Who is really going to risk the ire of screwing with a business that has the president's ear?

How about just today when Trump claimed to keep a Ford Production plant in Kentucky when the company never had plans to move it anyways?

Just my opinion.
The idea of passing laws in the US that favor jobs in the US has been floated before by Obummer - as so many here call him. But since the congress was controlled by Republicans, that was an idea that was quickly dropped. As I see it, it would certainly be interesting if that same idea were floated by Trump - especially if it passed. However, big business lobbyists are still looming around their congressional puppets.

Besides, the conservative Wall Street Journal has said it would not be economical.

Round and round tax laws favoring US jobs go. Where they stop, nobody knows!

Going after low paying jobs is a waste of time. What Americans should be doing is going to college and getting high paying design and engineering jobs. Manufacturing jobs are never coming back to the US unless you lower our wage to compete with theirs. Otherwise you might have automation do what is currently done is china.

You aint never gonna hear apple factories move from china. the cost would be enormous. imagine paying thousands of chinese workers mere pennies compared to paying americans at minimum 15 and hour. thats a huge profit margin hit and any business professional will tell you that. no way it going to happen unless apple really wants to lose its market shares big time and become a midget to what it currently is

The same way the majority of oil is controlled in the middle east china controls most of the manufacturing for most companies in the world. its just not happening unless a company wants go down the gutter literally.

#notmypresident

curious... if any other candidate was elected, could others also simply say this? And if so, what does it imply? Does it allow you legally (or ethically) to be excluded from the laws of the land and/or free from any position/stance the president has for the law?

What you are seeing in the USA is very much what we experience here in the UK with Brexit, A thin majority vote that made sweeping and significant changes that almost half the voters didn't want. It's always going to get noisy and messy. However you get to have another go in 4 years where I will most likely still be hearing about Brexit until I die. LOL

Been a hell of a year hasn't it ? :)

Oh no we have a city trashing flag burner in here... #notmyplanet just because I didn't vote to be on this planet with world leaders who are corrupt and wrong doesn't mean I can do much about it... but I defo wouldn't cry with #notmypresident just because I spat my dummy out because I didn't get what I demanded

The presidency has become a cult of personality.

The only way to stop that is to make an amendment that "only people who've served a full term as Governor can run for the presidency"

If that happens, the Obama's, Trumps, Kanye Wests and Lady Gaga's will be *eiminated* (a word I want to type in full caps but can't due to these goddamned censors).

As for modern day neo-liberals:

All those undisciplined, entitled, hippies are being given a hard slap in the mouth and a loud "NO".

Trump is your president unless you pack your s**t and move.

Yes he is!!!

So if you're gonna keep crying about it, please allow me to collect your tears so I can save that biologically processed salty goodness to sprinkle on my dinner (just so long as you're hepatitis C negative...)

Back