"Restoration was unsuccessful " for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianCee

"Restoration was unsuccessful" Is what it said when I tried to do a system restore. I went back and clicked all the other dates in bold numbers which indicates that a restore date is available, still, nothing. I disabled my anti virus and firewall and it still wouldn't restore...Does anybody have any other ideas they could please share to get me out of this dilemma, I would greatly appreciate any feedback, thank you..

What was the problem that prompted you to try a system restore? if it was a virus, many of them target system restore and disable or corrupt it.

Thank you for responding.. What prompted me to do a system restore was that I was using this DVD burning copyright encrypter called DVD43free which overwrites copyrights on DVD's so I could keep for home use. Well the program isn't working correctly and I uninstalled it and downloaded it again and still, it was doing the same thing..

So I wanted to restore it a couple of weeks back, but it wouldn't let me. As far as a virus it's pretty much updated on it's own and I ran a virus check and it didn't detect anything.. I recently had done a system restore and back then I had problems as well, so I kept getting the same error over and over and after like the tenth try it was restored..I just tried the same thing and nothing..

Thank You..

there is no home page for the software you are using.
looks like bootleg stuff,it may have put spyware and virus(trojans)on your machine
may be embedded deep now,If you can save your files(not programs)back them up and reload OS
DVDshrink is a better program
avoid most chinese stuff espeicaly when there is no home page to software developer.
look into how your system restore was set up
I only use it for my xp partition as it uses up resources

back up reg files and everything that is important
reformat drive first then reload OS

I'm lost..

I figured out I wasn't having software issues, it's hardware issues..My computer wasn't reading my cd and DVD drives..I some what fixed it, but now my computer is reading my external DVD burner as a cd drive and i think that's why my decrypter wont break up the copyright and i think that's why i can't burn copyright dvd's..

I'm fairly new to computers, how do I back up my files? I think you're right, that I should reformat then reload my OS then it should work a lot better..

Thank you again for all your help..

BIOS prob?

If I'm not mistaken, I think not recognizing the DVD as such is a BIOS issue, is it not anyone?
In my BIOS as soon as I booted up for the first time (home built), there was no OS installed as yet, the DVD was there and correctly identified. You can go on line to mobo manufactures website and download a BIOS update file.

Hopefully iss or Samstoned will post back and either comfirm or correct me on this. I'm just suggesting this because it would be easier to BIOS update then to backup/format/re-install XP, yada yada yada.

Cheers

Question about BIOS update

Thank You for your information..I tried to take your advice, but when into a motherboard manufactures web site I was assuming I can go into any and get a BIOS update, but I was wrong (I think) it asked for brand name and model number..I tried looking it up in my device manager but I couldn't find it, or if it's in there my lack of computer knowledge stopped me from finding it...Could you please tell me how I can find all that information for my computer by clicking where or what on my computer...

Download this program CPU-Z at http://www.cpuid.com/
it will give you all the details, click on the "mainboard" tab. Write down your northbridge chipset #, ex i875P and revision A2 etc. Your motherboard details will be on the same tab farther down. Download the BIOS file and the chipset files. Install chipset first. Best to download the latest drivers for the DVD drive too from the manufactures website.

If this does not work you'll have to update the BIOS. Follow the README file to the letter! WARNING, if you lose power or something while doing a BIOS update you will have to take the computer into the shop to have it recovered.
The BIOS is what tells the computer it's a computer, without it (damaged) it cannot boot the OS and it becomes a giant paper weight. :bounce:

Only way I know is open machine and get info off of board
intel has software to read most chipset info ,but that only gets you so far ,you can get chipset drivers and such ,but not bios software.with most MB's there should not be issue in getting bios software ,if that is what is needed.
at this point i would look into other aspects like reload the software that came with the external drive
usb's can act weird try unplugging and replugging it hot.
this program that you are using could have gotten in and corrupted xp ,even the bios<--(rare)so the drive is not being read by OS properly.
be vary careful bout bios upgrade ,bios chips cost 35 to50 USD
about seeing dvd in bios ,I have not noticed ,but it does see cdrw's so yea I guess it should

and knitting and knitting

Here's another good software (Everest)for reading PC parameters:http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&dlid=1&lang=en.

I agree samstoned you must be very careful updating BIOS as I tried to indicate in previuos post. I might be wrong about the BIOS, but I know my MSI mobo and BIOS knew right at start (1st POST) I had an LG DVD/CD/RW etc. So I'm guessing about this and only suggesting a BIOS upgrade might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back