Retailer reveals most reliable graphics cards and motherboards, warranty process times

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: It's a sad truth that graphics cards and motherboards can fail for one reason or another. Providing they're still covered, this is the time to take advantage of their warranties. But which manufacturers create the most reliable hardware, and which are the quickest at carrying out warranty repairs? A major PC retailer in Switzerland has given us an idea by publishing their warranty claim statistics.

Reddit user GaoHAQ (via VideoCardz) posted the GPU and motherboard defect rate for each brand that Swiss retailer Digitec sold over the last two years. That timeframe is an important factor as it covers the height of covid-19 and the cryptomining craze, which could somewhat skew the warranty case duration stats, though it's still an interesting read.

Starting with the GPU warranty score—how often a product from a particular brand had a defect in the first 24 months—the most reliable company is Dell. That doesn't come as much of a surprise as Dell only makes enterprise/workstation cards such as Nvidia's A6000, which costs $6,799. The lack of custom cooling and factory overclocking, along with their high price and build quality, contribute to the failure rate of 0%.

Second to Dell in the warranty score table is Asrock with a failure rate of just 0.3%, followed by other smaller companies: Gainward, Inno3D, PNY, and Pallit. Interestingly, the two worst manufacturers, Sapphire (2.4%) and XFX (2.5%), produce only AMD cards.

Despite its relatively poor showing in the warranty score section, Sapphire tops the warranty case duration table. On average, it took just 3 days for the company to process a warranty claim form from the moment it arrived at the service center until the faulty card was back with the customer.

EVGA, which has a reputation for offering excellent and effective product warranties, was the joint second-best performer with a wait of 9 days. Sadly, the company last year announced that it wouldn't be producing RTX 4000-series GPUs due to an abusive relationship with Nvidia.

As for the manufacturer that took the longest amount of time to process a warranty, Gigabyte took this unwanted title with an average wait time of 18 days.

Moving onto motherboards, MSI has the lowest failure rate in this category (2.8%), while Supermicro's 5% places it last. As for how long it takes companies to repair these products, Biostar is top with 0 days, likely meaning it sends out replacement boards as soon as the faulty ones arrive at its repair center.

Ironically, Gigabyte, which took the longest time to fix its GPUs, was second-quickest with mobo warranty cases, taking just three days to complete a claim process. Asrock was last with 13 days.

There are a few caveats with this data, including regional laws relating to warranty claims, but it's a potentially helpful set of stats for those considering a GPU or motherboard purchase.

Permalink to story.

A few comments:

The lack of custom cooling and factory overclocking, along with their high price and build quality, contribute to the failure rate of 0%.

This store probably doesn‘t sell many (if at all) Dell cards. Looking at all models they have on offer, there are only three (!) total reviews, two of which are for an old 2G Quadro card. The third one lists ‚not machine washable‘ as the card‘s drawback so it‘s safe to assume it‘s not from an actual customer.

Not selling a product is a sure way to not have any warranty claims.

Also, the sample size is probably too small for a meaningful comparison. Don‘t think this store sells too many cards based on the number of customer reviews.

Lastly - you know Asrock was an AMD exclusive partner until they also started to make Intel Arc based graphics cards and I do not believe the store sold many of them ?

This store probably doesn‘t sell many (if at all) Dell cards.
The small print at the bottom of the images states that a minimum of 300 sales of each brand, within a 24 month period, was required to be included -- those that didn't meet that level are in the "Show brands with insufficient data" section (not shown).

Also, the sample size is probably too small for a meaningful comparison. Don‘t think this store sells too many cards based on the number of customer reviews.
Mindfactory shifts a serious number of graphics cards, thousands each week, but there isn't thousands of reviews -- for example, one model states that 1160 of them have been sold but there are just two reviews. I don't think that there's a strong enough correlation between the sales figures and review counts to state that a sample size of 300 isn't sufficient enough.

Why is amd there yet nvidia not?
isn't warranty supposed to be handled with the AIB even on reference cards?

sapphire get the card in, have a little look and then send a new one back (or change fan/heatsink) I assume with that 3 day turn around

Dell at 0%? Not a single one had a defect in 2 years? What kind of GPUs does Dell make anyway?
oem models most likely from nvidia

For the people who failed stats class or simply don't understand basic stats I would not worry too much about the warranty scores. This is as accurate representation of brands that sold at least 300 units from Swiss retailer Digitec sold over the last two years. It may not necessarily prove to be an accurate representation of all units shipped by these brands across the globe because you don't have that sample size and the plus minus would be extremely high in such a case. Some brands could actually be worse or better if your plus minus is 5% for example.

That said I find it funny that STEAM has a far more accurate hardware survey that irritates people (once again failure to understand basic stats) than a survey like this as long as their fan boy brand comes out on top.

I do find the warranty case duration very interesting and wonder if the case duration is as long in North America?

Sadly, I feel the sample size is way to low for graphics cards. It would have been a valuable information. The motherboard category looks more consistent with numbers that are virtually the same. The warranty case duration is probably be more interesting.

Dell at 0%? Not a single one had a defect in 2 years? What kind of GPUs does Dell make anyway?
In 12 years with Dell devices, all workstation GPU aka Quadro and Firepro, never had an RMA for them.
HDD, SSD, RAM and MB, yes many.
But since warranty was Next Business Day or 4 Hours Mission Critical we never cared that much about RMA.
I'm not sure about Dell these days but beside "Dell" stickers and Design no PC it's done by them anymore.
Laptop, Server, Storage and Network about 50% inhouse max.

I started the process for a RMA request from EVGA over the weekend. I'll see how long things take and see how things go with my broken 3080Ti.

I have used a RMA with ASUS maybe 3 years ago when the ASUS router I had failed. That was a pretty good turn around, maybe a total of 2 full weeks between the time of starting the RMA, the time it took to ship to them via standard ground and the time for them to send it back fixed.

In approx 21 years of building pc's, I consider myself lucky in that I have only had 1 gigabyte DS3 motherboard die, 1 Powercolor 5700XT red devil gpu die, 1 XFX R9 290 die, an Antec psu go pop and many dvd burners died in those dvd days.
I've never had a single Asus, Asrock or corsair product die. A seasonic psu did start whining like it had massive coil whine, so that was dumped before it had a chance to fry the rest of my pc.
never had a bad ram stick or cpu either. Never bought another Gigabyte motherboard since, due to the stupid thing that killed it. All I did was lower memory timings, reboot and boom, the motherboard was no more. Yes it sounds silly but that's what happened. It was replaced with the same model 3 weeks later after the tech people checked it out and gave me another one. It had died with 1 week left on the 1 year warranty.
Oh and I forgot. Quite a few HDD's too from hitachi + samsung are no more either, but the big numbers with dead HDD's was Seagate. Every one I ever owned died and also some that were rescued from PC's that were donated to me also. I do have what I think is a Maxol HDD from the early 90's still working just fine in my Amiga 1200. I think its around 350MB.

Last edited:
In my experience (both personally and professionally) XFX, Asrock, Biostar and ADATA are brands to avoid.
I had no issues with ASRock and their RMA process. They replaced a dead MB without any hassles, this was around 5 years ago. I'm still using the replacement board 5 years later. I also had quick responses from ASRock tech support department (but this was an issue from just before Win 7 released) so I'm not sure if things have changed for them in that department since around 2008.

I've have not had any hardware failures in years. Only 1 MB from Gigabyte. I've had the best luck making sure to buy new/unused factory sealed ASUS products.
Thats also my case - only one motherboard of all components, and that MB died while doing auto-update on its firmware from GigaByte. After the update it didn't started, and also the service couldn't fix it. To bad, since I like that MB - aesthetic wise and also functionality. It was GA-AX370-Gaming 5.

Hardly any with their own brand on them. If you buy a Dell or Alienware gaming machine, it's going to have someone else's card in it. Outside of that, it's all business or enterprise products.

Why is amd there yet nvidia not?
isn't warranty supposed to be handled with the AIB even on reference cards?
If you order a card directly from AMD, there is no AIB involved. The box for my RX 6800 XT has no AIB partner on it. It's purely AMD. Having said that, I don't know if the FE cards from nVidia are only nVdia or if they're made by one of the AIBs (like Zotac for instance).
sapphire get the card in, have a little look and then send a new one back (or change fan/heatsink) I assume with that 3 day turn around
I can attest that it took XFX a lot longer than that with my RX 5700 XT.
That said I find it funny that STEAM has a far more accurate hardware survey that irritates people (once again failure to understand basic stats) than a survey like this as long as their fan boy brand comes out on top.
You want to know what irritates me about the Steam Survey? The fact that I've never managed to get it to work on ANY of my PCs and I've tried for YEARS on three separate platforms and four different motherboards. It makes me wonder just how many other PCs with Radeons don't get counted. Don't be so sure of yourself when you refer to the Steam Survey as accurate because Steam has been aware of the issue but has done nothing to address it. If it doesn't work for all PCs, it's not accurate, period.
I've have not had any hardware failures in years. Only 1 MB from Gigabyte. I've had the best luck making sure to buy new/unused factory sealed ASUS products.
I haven't had any motherboards fail since 2008 when my MSi K9A2 Platinum failed five months out of the 1-year warranty period. Since then, I've had one ECS, one Gigabyte and two ASRocks. For video cards, I had a defective XFX RX 5700 XT and just to make things worse, the one that they replaced it with the first time was also defective with a VRAM error. Before that, nothing had ever failed with brands like ASRock, Albatron, XFX (x3 cards), ECS and Biostar. I have however had two OCZ PSUs fail but they were just GameXStreams and to their credit, after the second failure, OCZ gave me a Z1000M. That one still works to this day.
This is definitely not accurate. Everyone know asrock is one of the highest failure rate brands.
You say "everybody" but that's not accurate at all. I've been building PCs for 34½ years and I've had three ASRock motherboards in my life. One was the 4Core Dual-VSTA, one is the X370 Killer SLI and the third is my X570 Pro4. None have ever failed.

I had been trying for a month or so to buy an AMD 7900xtx. One day out of a weird browsing train of pages, I came across one on Best Buy's website. I was happy, but then I said to myself 'crap. it's an XFX'. Still bought it, but I know I'll be talking to them sooner or later.

I've had several Gigabyte products and never had a problem. Their products are always near the top, spec-wise. Amazing power specs on their mobos and rock solid GPUs.

You know when you have an Aorus mobo in your hands- because it weighs a ton and looks gorgeous. That's the "Double Copper" talking!

I had been trying for a month or so to buy an AMD 7900xtx. One day out of a weird browsing train of pages, I came across one on Best Buy's website. I was happy, but then I said to myself 'crap. it's an XFX'. Still bought it, but I know I'll be talking to them sooner or later.
That's interesting, I have never had an issue with XFX cards, but the data doesn't lie. I think every AMD card I have owned was an XFX card. I guess I will be more cautious in the future. I think what is more surprising to me is how well ASRock does on this list. I have had two ASRock motherboards, never a GPU though. Both times I regretted my purchase because the MBs just seemed to have so many driver issues. Maybe they have improved as a brand since then.

. Don't be so sure of yourself when you refer to the Steam Survey as accurate because Steam has been aware of the issue but has done nothing to address it. If it doesn't work for all PCs, it's not accurate, period.
I love when people who clearly don't understand stats come out and prove their lack of knowledge.

So don't be sure just because you never got an invite other people didn't, if you understood sample sizes this would not be an issue.

I seriously doubt it. I've had six XFX cards in my life, a GeForce 6200, two Radeon HD 4870s and a Radeon RX 5700 XT. I've actually come into possession of a couple of old XFX cards. I have an old HD 5450 and a slightly-less-old HD 6450. Both of these cards still work perfectly as well. If XFX was as bad as you think, they'd have long ago gone the way of brands like Diamond, HIS, BFG and VisionTek. The fact that XFX has existed for as long as they have says that their products are just fine. I threw away my GeForce 6200 long ago because it was an AGP card but both of my HD 4870s still work 15 years after purchase.

Try to keep in mind that a defect percentage of 2.5% means that 97.5% of their cards are NOT defective. The only way to reach the assumption that you made is through broken logic. It's the same broken logic that makes people think that they'll win the lottery.

I love when people who clearly don't understand stats come out and prove their lack of knowledge.

So don't be sure just because you never got an invite other people didn't, if you understood sample sizes this would not be an issue.
I love it when people clearly don't understand how the Steam survey works but act like they do. You don't have to be invited to participate.

Back