RIM: Six BlackBerry 10 devices set for Q1 2013 launch

Leeky

Research in Motion has revealed it is preparing six new BlackBerry smartphones to launch with its new mobile OS early next year, according to a report by Pocket-lint. Two of the new BlackBerry 10 smartphones will compete at the top-end of the market, with the remaining four covering the middle and lower end market segments.

The Canadian phone maker gave the site a behind doors sneak peek to both of the flagship devices, though pictures were off-limits unfortunately. RIM is yet to name the models, but visually they appear to be the previously leaked London and Nevada models.

Both handsets continue with the styling ethos that RIM is known for, with one sporting a traditional QWERTY keyboard design and a 720 x 720 pixel display, which we’re told looks similar to the current BlackBerry 9900 series smartphones, and the second using a touchscreen-only interface and a screen resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels.

Pocket-lint spent around an hour with the two devices, and were shown several new features of BB10, as well as many of the applications. According to RIM, both are now finished products and are currently in testing with carriers and other selected partners. If all goes well, they should finish testing just before their release next year.

RIM says it is on track for a Q1 2013 release of BB10, following two previous delays due to technical problems. Originally, the phone maker had planned to release the QNX-based mobile OS at the beginning of this year. The first delay came last December, when RIM moved its launch to late 2012. Then in June, the company announced more job layoffs and re-scheduled it even further back to Q1 2013.

More information will be revealed during the BlackBerry Jam Americas conference in San Jose later this month.

Permalink to story.

I agree veLa. They're on thin ice right now having delayed BB10 twice. If these new phones and its new OS aren't a success I fear RIM will potentially go out of business as their rivals build an even bigger lead. It doesn't look good right now, that's for sure.

Having bought a BB PlayBook recently it's kind of obvious why RIM is tanking. It's well built and with the new OS 2.0 it's a great piece of kit but it took months and months before the proper features came out (email, calendar, Android apps etc.) Unfortunately I'm getting the same kind of vibe from these BB 10 phones... delay after delay and falling behind the competitors.

Does blackberry will also issued another (new) Porsche design as well?

SLH28,

While I agree with half of your point, regarding the Playbook (I have one, it's awesome, but lagging in terms of apps), I disagree with your idea that BB10 will suffer from the same shortages.

You should know that RIM is doing everything they can to have a massive app database for when BB10 becomes active.

That's the entire point of their new turnaround, or their, at least, attempt at one; they are doing everything they can to have a rich app ecosystem for when BB10 launces. Blackberry Jams have been happening all over the world this summer for that very reason.

I would be surprised if the reason they fail is because of a lack of apps in BB10.

If they fail after BB10, it will be because of the damage already done to them, BEFORE Heinz took over the reigns from those two, ego-maniac CEOs, not because BB10 was lacking in any way.

You should know that RIM is doing everything they can to have a massive app database for when BB10 becomes active.
I'll believe it when I see it. The App World is anaemic compared to iOS and Android and it's not just the quantity of apps either - the prices for paid apps are ridiculous, e.g. £5 for Angry Birds which is £0.69 on iOS and free on Android.

I really do hope they turn it around though, was a big fan of their devices before the iPhone came along.

Back