"Robot lawyer" to present arguments in world's first AI-defended legal trial in February

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Before you ask: No. The robot didn't pass the bar exam, so it's not a licensed lawyer. However, that is not a requirement for arguing a legal case. People represent themselves and hire paralegals in court proceedings all the time. It's not a stretch for a judge to agree to hear a case from an AI. In fact, most judges would probably be very interested to see a machine-generated legal argument, especially one presented in real-time.

Several years ago, we covered how a machine-learning algorithm bested 20 human lawyers when analyzing risks in nondisclosure agreements. The AI tied the highest-scoring lawyer with 94 percent accuracy. At the time, we predicted that it probably wouldn't go much further than that.

"Are lawyers at risk of being replaced? Probably not, at least not for things such as arguing case law," yours truly posited. Well, now I stand corrected.

NewScientist reports that an AI will argue the first legal case ever in a court of law in February. The hearing won't be anything too exciting. It's just a routine speeding ticket, which is probably why the court agreed to allow the unprecedented counsel request. The defendant's life is not hanging in the balance, just a relatively inexpensive fine.

Of course, there won't be an Android walking around the courtroom addressing the judge and jury — AI has come a long way since 2018, but not that far. Instead, an iPhone will be in the defendant's pocket. A phone equipped with an AI app and earpiece will provide the user with the appropriate responses to arguments during the hearing.

Do not be mistaken. The AI used in this case is not the same as the NDA-analyzing bot from 2018. Consumer advocate organization DoNotPay developed this algorithm to help users get out of fines, fees, and subscriptions. It can also aid in procuring refunds from businesses that want to make it appear you have no choice but to eat the costs of their mistakes.

"The DoNotPay app is the home of the world's first robot lawyer," it boasts. "Fight corporations, beat bureaucracy, and sue anyone at the press of a button."

The company has not disclosed the court's location or the defendant's name to ensure a controlled environment for the experiment. The defendant has been instructed only to say what the bot tells him. Should the judge rule against the defendant, NoNotPay agreed to cover any fines and fees associated with the case.

DoNotPay's "robot lawyer" started life as a chatbot in 2015, similar to the types that annoy you on tech support sites. You know, the ones that are dumb as rocks and can never satisfactorily answer a simple question. In 2020, DoNotPay incorporated more sophisticated AI that it hopes is good enough to argue an actual legal case in real-time successfully.

DoNotPay's founder and CEO, Josh Browder, said he wants to use the case to make his AI accurate and honest.

"We're trying to minimize our legal liability," Browder told NewScientist. "And it's not good if it actually twists facts and is too manipulative."

Ultimately Browder would like to see his app become good enough to replace an attorney but at a substantially lower fee.

"It's all about language, and that's what lawyers charge hundreds or thousands of dollars an hour to do," he said. "There'll still be a lot of good lawyers out there who may be arguing in the European Court of Human Rights, but a lot of lawyers are just charging way too much money to copy and paste documents, and I think they will definitely be replaced, and they should be replaced."

It should be fascinating to see how this case turns out. We'll be looking forward to a verdict sometime after February.

Image credit: The People Speak!

Permalink to story.

So when defendant fails to articulate that he wants sentence reduced to the minimum...

AI: What's the maximum sentencing term, your honor? 1000 years? We'll take it!

How does the robot lawyer know what the facts of the case are? I can see how an AI trained on lots of oral arguments could come to know which are winning arguments, but many of those arguments ultimately depend on the underlying facts. Does the AI lawyer get to first interview the defendant, the officer, any witnesses, plus take in any evidence that might exist like traffic cameras, body cams, etc?

Better watch out, when you threaten the livelihoods of the apex predators of the 1% such as lawyers, they will unleash hell on those who threaten them.

Ordinary working plebs being made jobless by the millions due to automation, well, that's different, that's a sacrifice they have to make to keep the 1% rolling in it.

..but threatening the 1%? well, that just won't fly.... ever, because the game is rigged.

It appears fairly useful and friendly when it's defending you for a much reduced charge. It gets rather worrying if it's doing the prosecution. Would the scoring algorithm reward the longest jail time, the highest fines or, as currently, the highest legal bills?

The robot-lawyer most likely will know every single word written about every single law in human history, including precedents, cases, etc

But is that enough for it to articulate arguments like a human and convince a jury? I highly doubt it.

Most people think that AI and robotics advances will impact mostly menial laborers
This is probably wrong - the cost is way too high for producing and maintaining robots. It requires software, hardware and ample energy sources
On the other hand AI bots require basically the software. You are actually saving on hardware/energy since you don't have to equip your office employees with offices and PCs. And the wage savings on replacing these jobs are usually better, since white collar is usually paid more than blue collar.

The robot-lawyer most likely will know every single word written about every single law in human history, including precedents, cases, etc

But is that enough for it to articulate arguments like a human and convince a jury? I highly doubt it.

I think AI is already extensively used in case search and precedents etc

So when the the human attorney sees evidence against a defendant clients they try to stear the argument away but when the ai gets evidence your effed there buddy! 😂 I say an ai can be used as a tool with a human lawyer to be synergistically better. Ai are tools nothing more no matter how much the industry will try to humanize the summation of collected human intelligence into an algorithm via automation!

I knew lawyers and doctors would be the first ones to be replaced by the nowadays limited AI.

Lawyers need to know everything about every law and exception. Only in movies they also have charisma. In real-life they are either soulless robots, or cheating bastards who usually work for the opposite side (whichever side is richer). So, ideal for machine learning.

Doctors on the other hand have a few predefined questions ("do you smoke", "do you drink alcohol", "do you eat bacon") and if you answer "no" to all three questions, they run out of text. Then they prescribe whichever cure gets them the highest bribe from the manufacturer. So, for a doctor you don't even need machine learning. Just a small Arduino based controller with a micro-app.

Bad enough all of the "if you or a loved one" commercials...now we'll have lawyer bots on tv LOL

I am all for the replacement of lawyers. Lawyers are human and therefore biased. I was recently taken advantage of by a prominent lawyer, my legal rights trampled on, then forced to sign a NDA under threats of punishment. An AI has no ego, will not manipulate, and will selflessly represent the client better.

I am all for the replacement of lawyers. Lawyers are human and therefore biased. I was recently taken advantage of by a prominent lawyer, my legal rights trampled on, then forced to sign a NDA under threats of punishment. An AI has no ego, will not manipulate, and will selflessly represent the client better.

And by "biased" you mean "dirty"? Or if you don't, I do. I've been involved in a case where the lawyer was taking our money, but was actually working for the other side. And that's not a rare case.

And by "biased" you mean "dirty"? Or if you don't, I do. I've been involved in a case where the lawyer was taking our money, but was actually working for the other side. And that's not a rare case.
Happened to my cousin who owned 2 pharmacies with his supposed best friend he graduated pharmacy school with. Partner got him to sign a contract just in case things got sour with them. Unfortunately My cousin was naive to think the one lawyer had his best interest which was the opposite of what transpired. Lawyers supporting a client are technically going to have a bias by default because the client is paying them to be bias in their favor. Unlike a judge or a jury who is suppose to be unbiased. An Ai lawyer will unlikely have this bias towards their clients which can also be a flaw if you want a contact to benefit only you and be less neutral. On the other hand if an ai lawyer can analyze any contract and find out flaws that are missed by a human lawyer that would be advantageous. I believe that an ai lawyer will be like a tool by human lawyers to be synergistically better, alone either they will be too bias or too neutral. What would be cool if non law literature personal can also use this ai lawyer as a tool to see if the human lawyer is keeping anything back to make them more law literate.

Happened to my cousin who owned 2 pharmacies with his supposed best friend he graduated pharmacy school with. Partner got him to sign a contract just in case things got sour with them. Unfortunately My cousin was naive to think the one lawyer had his best interest which was the opposite of what transpired. Lawyers supporting a client are technically going to have a bias by default because the client is paying them to be bias in their favor. Unlike a judge or a jury who is suppose to be unbiased. An Ai lawyer will unlikely have this bias towards their clients which can also be a flaw if you want a contact to benefit only you and be less neutral. On the other hand if an ai lawyer can analyze any contract and find out flaws that are missed by a human lawyer that would be advantageous. I believe that an ai lawyer will be like a tool by human lawyers to be synergistically better, alone either they will be too bias or too neutral. What would be cool if non law literature personal can also use this ai lawyer as a tool to see if the human lawyer is keeping anything back to make them more law literate.

An AI lawyer will be fully controlled by the people who created it. So, if they think you're from some reason out of grace, the entire system, including "your" AI lawyer, will be against you. We're entering a fully controlled government system, similar to some of the worst dictatorships, and AI will just make it easier to control the population.

Back