Rockstar issues patch for GTA V frame-rate issues on PC

Gabe Carey

A recent patch issued for Grand Theft Auto V on PC was declared infamous by players when it caused frame rate drops and micro-stuttering to an otherwise technically sound game. The patch, dubbed Title Update 1.28, aimed to prevent gamers from using unlawful mods in GTA Online.

While there's no evident debate on its success at accomplishing just that, its release regrettably led to performance issues in the game's Story Mode.

It seems now that Rockstar has delivered on its promise to explore the issue with an effective if not protracted response. Title Update 1.28.01 mends performance to its original state, making the GTA V campaign as playable on PC now as it was prior to the insufficient wrongdoings of version 1.28.

Rockstar noted that although some reports claimed the performance downgrades in update 1.28 were a consequence of the developer attempting to limit mods in story mode, those rumors can now be put to rest. "We are not actively targeting players using mods in Story Mode," writes the esteemed Grand Theft Auto developer and publisher. "Nor are we explicitly implementing protections against them in-game."

Instead, the title update was created to defend against players using mods "that could give players an unfair advantage, disrupt gameplay, or cause griefing" in GTA Online.

While Rockstar doesn't oppose the use of mods in single player content, doing so could still cause issues with the way the game behaves. As mods are not officially "supported or tested" and "players run them at their own risk," the developer is not held responsible for any mishaps caused by their use.

Permalink to story.

If they only patched underdeveloped, linear and ultimately boring single player campaign...

I sort of agree. the 50 gig download wasn't worth the storyline to me. I remember grand theft auto for being original gangster........like the mafia. I dont rememeber it as being some bullshit san andreas bullshit where thug talk and actions rule the environment. I am personally not some wannabe gang member in compton irl therefore I dont feel like prortraying one in a grand theft auto game. effing rockstar.............vice city was the best, not san andreas........

when I jumped into the game it wasnt what I wanted. I wanted to portray some sort of mafia role as usual, not some bs where im just a black guy running my mouth and stealing crap all the time. seriously?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a good story though. And you can choose to do the heists differently on playthroughs. I bought it on 360 and again on Xbox One and I don't regret it. Its a lot better than GTA 4

I'll 2nd Vice City as being the better protagonist story, don't get me wrong the 3 character system is fun and it brings new elements to the GTA table, but as stated, I don't enjoy being some black dude stealing crap for little to no reason, or have to do towing mission for some damn crack head, **** THAT. Still did those mission, what a waste of time, what were you thinking Rockstar, at least have the player tow something interesting...

Fortunately I haven't touched the game in over a month now so haven't noticed any frame rate issues ( :

Erm, mine was worse before that recent patch. Am assuming it's now going to revert back to the juddering mess it was when driving the vehicles. I have no mods installed at all.
BAH

Just updated and played for a while and it runs fine with no juddering, so all is good.
Must have been some other issue they reverted to and not the one I was experiencing.

Hmm I haven't had any issues in story mode, wonder if I was running that version. I bought it on Steam so it should be... So far I've enjoyed the game but it certainly could use more interesting characters and things to do. Some of the jobs were fun and interesting, but just about all the side stuff is pretty boring. I am happy though that it came out on PC and that it is a solid port.

Back