Rockstar reveals what it'll take to run 'Grand Theft Auto V' in 4K at 60 FPS on PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

gta sli crossfire hardware rockstar games 4k resolution rockstar hardware requirements video card 4k grand theft auto v gta v gta v pc requirements

Earlier this year, Rockstar Games revealed the minimum and recommended hardware that’ll be needed to run Grand Theft Auto V on the PC. We already know that the game will be the most graphically and technically advanced version yet with support for 4K resolution but up to this point, the company has been mum with regard to the level of hardware you’ll need for ultra HD.

PC Gamer recently reached out to the developer for more information on the subject. Kevin Hoare, president of Rockstar Toronto, told the publication that one of the lessons they learned over the years through Grand Theft Auto IV and Max Payne 3 on PC was that people want the freedom to configure their system to suit their preferences.

gta sli crossfire hardware rockstar games 4k resolution rockstar hardware requirements video card 4k grand theft auto v gta v gta v pc requirements

As a result, Hoare said their focus with Grand Theft Auto V was to ensure most people could run the game comfortably and provide a wide range of options to tailor the experience to individual systems.

The previously released recommended specs are based on what it’d take to run the game at 1080p 60 frames per second. To run at 4K 30 frames per second, Hoare said users will need at minimum an AMD HD 7870 or Nvidia GTX 760 with 2GB of VRAM. Bumping up to 4K 60 frames per second will require a high-end SLI or Crossfire setup, he added.

All of this, of course, is in addition to having a 4K capable monitor.

Permalink to story.

All I can think of is. Upgrade video drivers, use Driver booster and update all other drivers and update bios. Just make sure that with Driver Booster you are downloading updated drivers, it will sometimes actually give you older set. Also install all windows updates, you never know if they will help or not but it is worth a shot.

I don't even have 1080p monitor and you guys are talking about 4k. :'(

Crikey, a 65gb install? With Witcher 3 clocking in at 40gb, I'm going to have to do some serious culling...

Yawwnnnnn .... GTA is starting to get like a missing filling in my teeth ..... just plain annoying ...

We've been hearing about this damn game for a year and a half now. Release it already so it's not in the headlines of every gaming/tech website for months on end.

...use Driver booster and update all other drivers and update bios. Just make sure that with Driver Booster you are downloading updated drivers, it will sometimes actually give you older set.

Thanks for the heads up on Driver Booster. I downloaded it and found some outdated drivers on my system. It's a good program with great user reviews.

According to steam poll under 1% of gamers got 4K monitor and they make 4K their main selling point? Maybe if they want the PC port to fail in sales to show to their investors that PC gaming is not worth the effort. I would be more interested if they optimised the engine so performance would be more streamlined. And I'm buying boxed game for my collection (yeah I'm a fan turned hating troll, from all the waiting and witnessing R* favoring consoles), but not for 40euros, I'm expecting 25 max for this 2yo Xbox360 remaster, so... without holding my breath, I'm waiting for Techspot tests and impressions.

According to steam poll under 1% of gamers got 4K monitor and they make 4K their main selling point? Maybe if they want the PC port to fail in sales to show to their investors that PC gaming is not worth the effort. I would be more interested if they optimised the engine so performance would be more streamlined. And I'm buying boxed game for my collection (yeah I'm a fan turned hating troll, from all the waiting and witnessing R* favoring consoles), but not for 40euros, I'm expecting 25 max for this 2yo Xbox360 remaster, so... without holding my breath, I'm waiting for Techspot tests and impressions.

Where does it say that their main point is 4k?? They say it is 4k compatible, just that. Don't hate because you don't have reading comprehension, because they DO say they took into consideration, I will quote it for you so you don't have to go find it among the all 4 paragraph article (No probs ;)):

As a result, Hoare said their focus with Grand Theft Auto V was to ensure most people could run the game comfortably and provide a wide range of options to tailor the experience to individual systems

@Kibaruk
No offense, I can read, just my feeling that tech portals last weeks or so are being flodded with either "official videos" of GTA5 in 4K@60pfs or news, like this one, screaming from every home page today "R* reveals what U need to play it at 4K". If its not viral marketing in anticipation of release, than I don't know what it is. Most of recent games got 4K support, so what? It doesn't work except for few thousand owners of TitanX and SLI/CF. Those number won't sell this game. Regular gamers will, if at all. If its not Rockstar, than portal themself are builing the hype, only to show that 4K is years away from wider deployment, because of requirements or price. I'm so thrilled that I'm gonna be able to play GTA5 in 4K in 5years, when my disposable income will allow me to afford 4K IPS LCD. But I probably won't by then. It will be old news and be kinda dated graphics, like GTA4 is today.

To run at 4K 30 frames per second, Hoare said users will need at minimum an AMD HD 7870 or Nvidia GTX 760 with 2GB of VRAM. Bumping up to 4K 60 frames per second will require a high-end SLI or Crossfire setup, he added.

All of this, of course, is in addition to having a 4K capable monitor.

Seems really far fetched to me. It might hit 60fps when its loading? Have a hard time with such generalized specs.

Crikey, a 65gb install? With Witcher 3 clocking in at 40gb, I'm going to have to do some serious culling...
Yeah, thats why I am waiting to get a good deal on a 1TB SSD.
Star Citizen will take up over 100GB by itself.
New games are big, times are changing, pretty textures on large worlds needs big storage.

We've been hearing about this damn game for a year and a half now. Release it already so it's not in the headlines of every gaming/tech website for months on end.

yeah they do it to make money. They don't care about quality. They don't care about what they put up. All that matters is that they get hits. So they follow the crowd and focus on what's trending. And right now, what's trending is how so many people who bought GTA V for the XBOX One, PS4, and 360/PS3 are crying at how much better the PC version is and how they should just buy a PC instead lol

@Shawn Knight @Steve
Is there a chance TechSpot could do a Performance Review using the most popular versions of anti-aliasing?

ie: MSAA vs FXAA vs MFAA vs TXAA on two or three games that have support for all four.

Last edited:
Hopefully this thing runs better than gta 4 does. I just bought gta4 last night since I could snag it plus its expansions for 9 dolla but my frames are garbage. maxed out settings @ 1600x900 gets me 40-55 fps outside with a geforce gtx 960 and an i5 4690k. not thrilled with the performance in gta4. gta5 better be optimized more thoroughly because I want it on my computer :p

You have a GTX 960. You shouldn't be complaining about frames rates of 40 to 55. If you want higher frame rates get a better card.

You have a GTX 960. You shouldn't be complaining about frames rates of 40 to 55. If you want higher frame rates get a better card.
Yeo neu nethin Jon Snow, GTA4's world famous f*cked up PC port is fully CPU dependant. It's his CPU that hold him back. I got Q9550 at 3.4GHz and GTX970 and I got 25-55, although Win task manager reports both CPU and GPU not working at full, so maybe RAM speeds play a role here too. New card would give him nothing.

It's his CPU that hold him back.
He has an i5 4690K and you say it is his CPU holding him back. My God what does he need to play the game with then?
There's not a CPU on this planet that would run it fluently at 60fps at max settings at FHD, its so botched. That's what all the fuzz with PC GTA4 was my friend. MAX PAYNE 3 was much better, but it was in closed locations. hopefully they did spend some work on RAGE. I just checked benchmarks and if i5-4690 is some 60-90% stronger than my Quad, then my 25fps times, lets say average, 75% gives 43,75fps of his system, so yes, I would say CPU is holding him back. In that case I would recomend OC his K processor to 5,25GHz for a smooth 60fps gameplay. Tough luck.

Back