Roundup: PIPA collapses, SOPA hearing to resume in February

Leeky

The unprecedented blackout of websites yesterday in protest of the highly criticized Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) legislation saw Wikipedia’s English site shut down for 24 hours, as well as countless other websites displaying their disapproval of the bills. Even Google aired its disgrace by blacking out its Google logo on their homepage.

Twitter released data yesterday saying the popular micro blogging service had recorded over 3 million Tweets about PIPA and SOPA. Most were in support of the protest, but as the day wore on some took to Twitter to vent their frustration at being unable to use the websites that had shut down in protest.

Senate members rushed for the doors with 18 Senators announcing they opposed the new PIPA bill. Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) blamed the mass exodus on Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) for "pushing forward with a flawed bill that needs much work," according to reports by Ars Technica.

One of the chamber's longest-serving members, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) said PIPA was "simply not ready for the prime time." A view echoed by many of those withdrawing support.

Sen. Marco Rubio also withdrew his co-sponsorship of the bill, saying via Facebook that there was "legitimate concerns about the impact the bill could have on access to the Internet and about a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's power to impact the Internet. Congress should listen and avoid rushing through a bill that could have many unintended consequences."

The Stop Online Piracy Act, which will resume in February, lost three co-sponsors yesterday as well. Republicans Lee Terry, Tim Holden and Benjamin Quayle withdrew their support for the proposed bill. Terry said the bill as it is "currently drafted isn’t the solution," when speaking to Omaha.

A spokesperson for Terry went on to say, "Terry has long been an advocate of an open Internet, something that opponents think was threatened by SOPA. The bill would give the U.S. attorney general authority to seek court orders against foreign Internet sites believed to be engaging in copyright infringement or online piracy. The bill also would grant the government broad power to go after websites hosting copyright content."

Microsoft also aired its concerns regarding SOPA yesterday, although it declined to take part in the blackouts. "We oppose the passage of the SOPA bill as currently drafted," a spokesperson for Microsoft said in a statement to ComputerWorld. "This is an important issue and we think the recent White House statement points in a constructive way to problems with the current legislation, the need to fix them, and the opportunity for people on all sides to talk together about a better path forward […] Hundreds of millions of customers rely on our services every day so we don't plan to shut those down to express our view."

Amazon also took part in the protests, opting against a complete blackout, instead choosing to feature a large advertisement on its website which read, "reasons to oppose or modify SOPA,"  that re-directed users to the netcoalition.net website when clicked.

Overall, yesterdays actions against these proposed bills successfully displayed a united front against legislation that will ultimately hurt freedom of speech, privacy and destroy the internet as we know it today. Those in support of them will be left with no doubt in their minds as to what the general public and many high profile companies feel about them in their current form.

Permalink to story.

Yesterday was one of the greatest days ever for me on the internet, it was the first time I logged into Facebook and instead of "just cooked dinner" "going out" or "I hate myself and everything" Everyone was discussing SOPA and proved that the Internet is a powerful tool for learning and passing on information. A lot of credit and respect to Wikipedia who affected the most people but was definitely for the better.

I would like to congratulate the people of the United States for stepping up and using the powers given to them to affect change. We let too many bills slide by us but yesterday was different. Also kudos to the Senators for listening to their constituents As they should. Now let's not forget about SOPA as it's still very much alive.

Translation: All our piece of **** politicians realize that their cushy jobs are on the line because the great unwashed have gathered around congress with tar and feathers. To that end they have reversed themselves and are now trying to convince any one that can vote that they were never for the bill in the first place. Hollywood, another steaming load of monied filth, has decided to temporary retire to their mansions and plot new strategy. Some time in the future when the public is distracted by Dancing With The Stars or perhaps WWIII Hollywood will once again grease the palms of congress and a bill like this one will pass. All one has to do to see how patient these people are is to remember how free and easy America was in the 70's and contrast it with the fascist police state we now enjoy. Have a nice day.

That is excellent!

The power of the internet really is breath taking.

All of us normal, sane people joining together as one to fight the stuck-up nutters who come up with **** like SOPA.

Long live the internet community!

SOPA = Biggest freak out over nothing in recent history. 'The fascist police state we now enjoy?!' Clearly today's generation has so much handed to them that the slightest threat of a decrease in privledges (not rights, mind you) warrants responses like this.

SOPA was NEVER EVEN VOTED ON, it wasn't even close to being a law. If it passed through the house and senate and Obama said he was in favor, then you can freak out.

What honestly scares me is how quick people jump on the bandwagon of 'the govt is evil, let's protest!' What we had was google, wikipedia and some others put a few obscure buzz-word filled phrases like 'Knowledge should be free' on their sites and everyone jumped on. It's not much different than the Bush adminitrations technique for invading Iraq. All about protecting you and your freedom with no real assessment of the threat. Heavy on rhetoric, light on details.

SOPA didn't jibe with the big internet companies business model, and because they have the medium of a website with millions of vistitors they can get everyone on board with their agenda quite easily.

But hey... we all got to feel like we were a part of something big and important for a day, didn't we.

I was gonna be a little more positive than above guest. However, the 70's can hardly be described as "free and easy" as we were bogged down in a war that the public didn't support and thousands of our own men were dying for, what seemed at the time, a pointless and wasteful conflict. Meanwhile there were people protesting en masse back home in the States. Not my definition of "free and easy"

ok so now that we know our politicians are willing to pull this on their own people lets get them out of power. If you really want to fix the problem go to the root.

SOPA was NEVER EVEN VOTED ON, it wasn't even close to being a law. If it passed through the house and senate and Obama said he was in favor, then you can freak out.
If you are going to protest, do it before it becomes a problem not after. If you sit back and let it become a problem, you have no right in complaining at all. I understand what you are saying though, there wasn't any need in getting riled up over something that may never have been a problem. I do believe there are also things, you don't want to give a chance at being a reality.

YA milwaukeemike but they may think twice before they try to pass similar bills through..This will have much more lasting effect and I'm glad something positive like that happened to protect the internet from the entertainment industry... They think they are above everyone else....deal with it...Make a good product and price accordingly and most people will buy your product...but be greedy and try to crush piracy (which will never happen) and you will lose more in the end. The sooner they get this through their big fat greedy heads the better we will all be. The music industry is falling inline and the movie industry will have to also.

cliffordcooley said:
If you are going to protest, do it before it becomes a problem not after. If you sit back and let it become a problem, you have no right in complaining at all. I understand what you are saying though, there wasn't any need in getting riled up over something that may never have been a problem. I do believe there are also things, you don't want to give a chance at being a reality.

Perhaps. But if it was voted on in the house we'd know which representatives were in favor of it and we could elect someone else next time around. This bill could have just as easily been stopped before the senate voted or Obama signed it.

I remember the 70's quite well. It was pretty much my "coming of age" decade. Yes, we were in the last years of the Vietnam war and there was protests on the streets. But you could go through an airport and board a plane without having to go through prison style security. You didn't have cameras every where reminding you that big brother was watching. Unless you were a certified scumbag you had little to fear from the cops. I can remember being about 16 and riding around drinking beer with a friend. (Foolish I know but I was young.) We were stopped by a State Trooper that probably sized up up in about 5 seconds. He asked us if we had any alcohol on us and before we could reply he told us that if we lied we would be in deep doo doo. We admitted our transgression, the cop poured our beer out on the street and warned me to go home and if he ever saw me with beer again I was going to jail. In retrospect I consider that a pretty decent way of handling the situation. That was my first, last and only time that I drank and drove. Today that situation would send some one straight to jail. I don't want to turn this post into a coming of age screen play but in those days the cops were almost unfailingly polite and one had to screw up pretty big to end up in jail. Now a six year old kid (boy) can be expelled from school for drawing a picture of a gun in class. In my mind the contrast between the 70's and now is large and not for the better. A blind man with a cane could see how incredibly worse most aspects of American society are now compared to then.

What should scare you all more then anything is the fact it was squashed by the puplic. Now the next bill they attempt to pass to censore/control piracy will be done quietly. It will be buried in some obscure bill/law. Since our Reps dont even ACTUALLY read most of the bills that they pass. They get bullet points from aides. So watch 2-3 yrs from now when everyones blood presure has cooled and SOPA and PIPA are all but forgotten, a new bill will pass quietly. Once its passed, do you think we will be able to stop it? NOPE! They will make it a law under the patriot act or some such nonsense.
This was just the first volley. They just wanted to see how the general public would react. The next one.......well lets just say I hope your not downloading movies or music. The MPAA wont let this go.

milwaukeemike said:
SOPA = Biggest freak out over nothing in recent history. 'The fascist police state we now enjoy?!' Clearly today's generation has so much handed to them that the slightest threat of a decrease in privledges (not rights, mind you) warrants responses like this.

What honestly scares me is how quick people jump on the bandwagon of 'the govt is evil, let's protest!' What we had was google, wikipedia and some others put a few obscure buzz-word filled phrases like 'Knowledge should be free' on their sites and everyone jumped on. It's not much different than the Bush adminitrations technique for invading Iraq. All about protecting you and your freedom with no real assessment of the threat. Heavy on rhetoric, light on details.

SOPA didn't jibe with the big internet companies business model, and because they have the medium of a website with millions of vistitors they can get everyone on board with their agenda quite easily.

But hey... we all got to feel like we were a part of something big and important for a day, didn't we.

By your logic, if I see a man about to set a house on fire (but not actually on the act) then I guess I should just wait until he lights that sucker up right? I mean only <I>then</I> I'd be compelled to act...

Even putting that analogy aside, do you even realize what a group of websites just did? Google gathered more than 4 million signatures; Wikipedia had more than 124 million views during the blackout, who knows about reddit, but that one must also be close.... Do you understand that we made a big dent in Washington from the comfort of our houses? Could you have predicted such a thing back in the 90s? Hell, how about just a few years ago?

The internet served a bigger purpose than just stopping/delaying SOPA/PIPA, we established a mentality in the government: that if we spoke, and spread the information as fast and as efficiently as we did (which just so happens to be one of the internet's greatest assets) they will no longer just get away with whatever legislation they want wihtout going through the scrutiny of the people. That in and of itself is the greatest advantage of a democratic country.

Actually the good thing about all of this is Democracy in action. People raise their voices and Congress responds. Governement for the people by the people.

Guest said:
Now a six year old kid (boy) can be expelled from school for drawing a picture of a gun in class. In my mind the contrast between the 70's and now is large and not for the better. A blind man with a cane could see how incredibly worse most aspects of American society are now compared to then.

Excellent example. People nowadays freak out first, ask questions later. There's a bit of study going on right now about how the internet makes people stupid. We have access to tons of information, but have lost the ability to think, evaluate, decide for ourselves and react accordingly.

Nice story guest! Haha I never came close to seeing the 70's so I'll take your word for it. I can see how paranoia and political correctness has run amuck in recent years though.

Hollywood trying to stop piracy would be analogous to harness makers of the early 1900's trying to get gas stations outlawed because the model T is taking away their business. What they fail to admit is that technology has marched on and their business model no longer comes with the fat profit margins of earlier times. They have a billion dollar business but they can no longer control the distribution of their product. It can be had for the cost of a cheap laptop and an internet hookup. The genie is out of the bottle. And all the money, lawyers, and crooked politicians in the world won't put it back.

lawfer said:

By your logic, if I see a man about to set a house on fire (but not actually on the act) then I guess I should just wait until he lights that sucker up right? I mean only <I>then</I> I'd be compelled to act...

Even putting that analogy aside, do you even realize what a group of websites just did? Google gathered more than 4 million signatures; Wikipedia had more than 124 million views during the blackout, who knows about reddit, but that one must also be close.... Do you understand that we made a big dent in Washington from the comfort of our houses? Could you have predicted such a thing back in the 90s? Hell, how about just a few years ago?

The internet served a bigger purpose than just stopping/delaying SOPA/PIPA, we established a mentality in the government: that if we spoke, and spread the information as fast and as efficiently as we did (which just so happens to be one of the internet's greatest assets) they will no longer just get away with whatever legislation they want wihtout going through the scrutiny of the people. That in and of itself is the greatest advantage of a democratic country.

Poor analogy. Passing a law is a 3 step process. Voting in the house was scheduled for Jan 24th. If it passed then, it would have meant voting in the Sentate. Not a law, or a burning house in your example. If the house (or senate) is controlled by the opposite party of the president they will sometimes pass bills just to make the president veto them for use in campaigns later.

You're right, a group of websites just did something impressive. But do you think all 124 million people really understood that law? How do you know your personal motives align with those websites? Laws are terribly complicated... look at the new healthcare bill. We have no idea how that will play out, and it's making companies all over the country hoard their cash while they wait and see. Now we have Occupy protests.

You're right again. It makes our country great.... but it also assumes we know what we want. This was an easy one. SOPA sucked. What about something tough, like education or healthcare? Do you want teachers to be paid more for performing well? Sounds obvious, right? That comes with a performance eval, which can lead to firing bad teachers. The unions will not stand for that, and they have deep pockets at campaign time.

Nothing is cut and dry.

We need a political thread in the general discussion forum where we can discuss this stuff in a *hopefully* civilized manner.

milwaukeemike said:

bandwagons scare you, but this doesn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqMoOk9NWc

You're right, a group of websites just did something impressive. But do you think all 124 million people really understood that law?

I'm not really sure you completely understood SOPA/PIPA, I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can support it. It isn't just about pirating movies/music or buying fake Coach purses, its much more than that.

What sucks is, like the one Guest said, the lobbyists will make sure this won't get public attention next time. It will be split up in segments and passed under some farm subsidy bill.

I haven't watched that youtube link (yet) from the post above me, but this video is fairly short and provides information on why SOPA/PIPA should not be allowed to pass: http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

If google really put their money where their mouth is, they'd black out their site for at least an hour. Or are they afraid of losing revenue?

SNGX1275 said:
You're right, a group of websites just did something impressive. But do you think all 124 million people really understood that law?

I'm not really sure you completely understood SOPA/PIPA, I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can support it. It isn't just about pirating movies/music or buying fake Coach purses, its much more than that.

What sucks is, like the one Guest said, the lobbyists will make sure this won't get public attention next time. It will be split up in segments and passed under some farm subsidy bill.

I understand why people are scared. The govt could shut down any site that has copyrighted material or links to it. That includes a TON of sites. But the govt can also pull you over for driving 2 MPH over the speed limit, and it never happens. Google and Wikipedia also had the very easy defense of 'our site is not supposed to be used for piracy, but we can't control what people search for etc.' Just like they don't outlaw steak knives because someone got killed with one once. They'd probably just have a disclaimer on their site.

I wish it had been voted on so we would have learned which politicians supported it. then we could vote em out. Now we don't know, and (as mentioned) it might be slipped in slowly in future bills.

It also really annoyed me how wikipedia shut down their site. Stick it to the poor kid who's got a project due at school?! Google is at least considerate and doesn't put their own business plan over the need of the public to use their site.

Lets not forget that these legislations would also give the Courts powers to shut down open websites, like Facebook. All it takes is one post, or one webpage citing illegal content and the Law could pull the whole website down.

Think Twitter, Facebook, Wikipedia or any other publicly accessible website where members registered, or anonymously can post any form of content > It takes just one post resulting in the whole site being removed.

That is without question beyond lunacy.

That's without even considering the abuse of power media mongrels could wage from its passing.

Back