Router disturbing lan connection

We are living in a hostel whrte we have got our wired lan connection. It worked fine until some people bought routers and plugged them into their lan ports to use it as AP . After that the whole lan got disturbed and no one was able to access login portal for connection. I want to know why that happened and what can be the solution of that problem.....plzz reply...

So if the LAN side of a router/repeater is plugged in and DHCP service is not disabled the exact scenario you described happens. If you plug in another router into your network it has to be on the WAN port of the router putting it in a NAT mode or disable DHCP on the router LAN to stop IP addresses from going to the wrong gateway.

On the second device, yes. If the device supports it. However in a bridge configuration with DHCP disabled on the LAN of the second router you should have to make no changes beyond setting an IP address for communication and SSID/Password. It should bridge the connection from your current gateway to the end devices.

Thnx for ur reply but there is no way to disable dhcp on router because it is not known that who had actually set up the router. So rather I think trying different ipv4 address would be only option....

Thnx for ur reply but there is no way to disable dhcp on router because it is not known that who had actually set up the router. So rather I think trying different ipv4 address would be only option....
Then make sure each secondary router connects via it's WAN or UPLINK slot. All devices attaching to them will get Internet but no print/file sharing to devices attached elsewhere.

Back