Rumor: Microsoft phasing out its virtual points currency

Jos

Staff

Microsoft's Xbox Live point system has been widely criticized by users for being confusing and difficult to convert into real prices. They allow users to purchase content on the Xbox 360, Windows Phone and Zune Marketplace without a credit card. However, besides making things seem a bit cheaper than they actually are (80 Microsoft Points converts to $1), points are only sold in 'blocks' and users often have to purchase more than they actually require at a particular time. This means they'll have left over points after their purchase but most likely not enough to buy something else.

The company begun moving away from this system recently by allowing certain purchases to be made with actual cash, including Xbox 360 ‘Games On Demand’ and Windows Phone mobile apps. Now, according to a report by Inside Mobile Apps, they plan to scrap the virtual currency altogether before the end of the year.

Transactions will instead be based on the local region of Xbox Live accounts, with real money used to buy content. The change will bring Microsoft's various marketplaces in line with competitors such as Apple's App Store and Sony's PlayStation Network, both of which use real currency.

This will also end the inconsistent use of Microsoft Points as the company prepares to release its next-generation operating system. Windows 8 will include Xbox Live integration as well as its own Windows Store for app and game purchases, which Microsoft had previously said would be done using actual cash.

The company responded to the report saying  it "doesn't comment on rumours or speculation."

Permalink to story.

I sure hope so, microsoft points is horrible, I decided to not buy anything else until they change to a regular currency system.

Yes I've considered buying things in the past but was turned away by having to convert my money to these points and then buying whatever it is with points. Seemed ridiculous to me.

"users often have to purchase more than they actually require at a particular time. This means they'll have left over points after their purchase but most likely not enough to buy something else."

so true...

now i just have to find a way to somehow spend the rest of what i have left... probably on some rock band songs and get rid of those pointless points.

hmmm... I 'might' just make purchases on Games for Windows Live providing they can compete on price points.

I say good reddens. Give use real prices and stop making us have points that hang there and we never can pay exact given the quantity of points offered.

At last! Points were a nuisance. My card never worked on for buying them (it's just a normal visa) so if ever I wanted something I needed to go to a shop to get one of the physical scratch cards :/

lol i bet microsuck made some money off the peices of "blocks" people paid for and couldnt use. Id be willing to be thats why it even exists

Back