Rumor suggests both PlayStation 5 and PS5 Pro will launch simultaneously

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: While its launch is almost certainly at least a year away, Sony has revealed plenty of details about the PlayStation 5, but there’s one thing it hasn’t mentioned: a PS5 Pro model. According to a new rumor, not only will there be a more powerful Pro version of the next-gen machine, but it will also be released alongside the standard PS5.

Sony released its PlayStation 4, which has sold over 100 million units, back in 2013. Three years later, it unveiled the slim and Pro incarnations of the console, the latter being a 4K-enabled version of the machine.

According to Japanese games journalist Zenji Nishikawa, Sony will be releasing a PlayStation 5 Pro alongside the base version of its next console. He claims on his YouTube channel that the machine will cost between $100 to $150 more than the standard PS5.

Why would Sony release both consoles together rather than wait a few years before launching the Pro? Nishikawa says it’s because the company has “acknowledged the interest in a high-end model and wants to give players what they want right from the beginning of the generation."

Earlier this year, the Japanese firm confirmed several PS5 hardware details, including its use of a third-gen Ryzen CPU, custom Radeon Navi graphics, an SSD, and support for ray tracing and resolutions up to 8K. We also heard that it would allow 4K@120Hz gaming, and a patent was discovered last month that hints at the machine’s design.

While Nishikawa has made accurate predictions regarding the PS4 Pro and the Nintendo Switch Lite in the past, this one should probably be taken with a heavy dose of salt. The biggest question, of course, is just how much more powerful could Sony make a PS5 Pro compared to the base console? Maybe in a few years’ time, Sony will launch a PlayStation 5 Pro that’ll be an absolute monster, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Permalink to story.

Hmmmmm ..... if it's true, it doesn't sound like a very smart marketing move to "share the lime light" ... would have been much better to separate them by a week .....

I personally had a far better experience with the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii than I did with PS4, Xbox One and WiiU.

#1 There were way more exclusives when I first got Xbox 360.

#2 The Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation had far more variety. I had Dance Dance Revolution with 4 dance mats, Guitar Hero/Rock Band with my iON ROCKER drum set, Chessmaster, Spyglass Games...

Wii obviously launched a bunch of innovative motion games along with NES virtual console.

Xbox One/PS4 has been mostly first person shooter sequels.

#3 Now that I've gone and built a monster gaming PC I feel that PS5 and Xbox TWO have very little to offer me.

Developers are getting lazier and greedier. They don't want to design exclusives anymore that specifically take advantage of hardware. They are making one-size-fits-all PC games that downgrade to consoles. If that's the case I may as well just have a PC with a gaming controller.

Last edited:
If this is correct I think people are coming at this from the wrong angle.

There won't be a 'Pro' model, there will be the regular PS5 and cut-down, budget PS5.

There's a difference.

I personally had a far better experience with the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii than I did with PS4, Xbox One and WiiU.

#1 There were way more exclusives when I first got Xbox 360.

#2 The Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation had far more variety. I had Dance Dance Revolution with 4 dance mats, Guitar Hero/Rock Band with my iON ROCKER drum set, Chessmaster, Spyglass Games...

Wii obviously launched a bunch of innovative motion games along with NES virtual console.

Xbox One/PS4 has been mostly first person shooter sequels.

#3 Now that I've gone and built a monster gaming PC I feel that PS5 and Xbox TWO have very little to offer me.

Fact is, consoles are basically mini-PCs now, and with cross-platform now a thing you really shouldn't be expecting many exclusives going forward. Pretty much everything non-Nintendo is going to be on PC going forward.

There won't be a 'Pro' model, there will be the regular PS5 and cut-down, budget PS5.

There's a difference.

I don't think there's a major difference, but I had a similar take on it when I read this. I think that, if true, what people imagine the PS5 to be (8C/16T Zen 2 + 56 CU Navi, or some such) will be PS5 Pro, while the PS5 will be significantly weaker (but still probably more powerful than the PS4 Pro). This would allow Sony to up the price to, say, $499, while still putting a $399 or less new console on the market.

Edit: The moves also makes some sense because not everyone will feel the need for 4K gaming.

There's a difference.

I don't think there's a major difference, but I had a similar take on it when I read this. I think that, if true, what people imagine the PS5 to be (8C/16T Zen 2 + 56 CU Navi, or some such) will be PS5 Pro, while the PS5 will be significantly weaker (but still probably more powerful than the PS4 Pro). This would allow Sony to up the price to, say, $499, while still putting a $399 or less new console on the market.

Edit: The moves also makes some sense because not everyone will feel the need for 4K gaming.

Of course, looking at cynically, it could simply be a case of Sony rebranding what would have been the PS5 in the first place as PS5 'Pro' in order to justify charging a premium over what they were originally going to price it at. Sticking a 'Pro' on the box is an easy way of adding $50-$100 of perceived value onto the price.

How about just make one version and don't overcomplicate things. Make ONE good console. The end.

"support for ray tracing and resolutions up to 8K. We also heard that it would allow 4K@120Hz gaming"

heh, "support". We've seen for many years what their "support" means. What they means is retro games may play at those resolutions. Nothing new/modern. Have fun with your minecraft graphics. :)

Xbox One/PS4 has been mostly first person shooter sequels..

You're referring to third party games.

When it comes to first and second party games. The PS4 generation still has just much variety as the previous playstation consoles.

Exclusives such as

The Last of Us, Death Stranding, Detroit, Infamous Second Son, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Part 2, Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Bloodborne, Ni No Kuni 2, Until Dawn, Yakuza 6, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian...etc which are non first person shooters.

Also you're missing out a huge chuck of these exclusive games by dismissing the PS5. Be a true gamer like me. I own a fairly decent high end PC. 9900k @ 5.1ghz + 2080 Ti, Nintendo Switch, & PS4 Pro.

I'm not bias towards any brands nor do I resort to fanboyism or have some sort of PC elite attitude mentality

I get to enjoy the best of both worlds. Console's exclusive games, while enjoying the best multi platform forms experience that PC provides.

How about just make one version and don't overcomplicate things. Make ONE good console. The end.
Those days are over, anyone who buys any new hardware these days are just beta testing it.

Also worth mentioning the PS3 did this back in 2006, they had the 20GB with 2 USB ports and no card reader and 60GB with 4 USB ports and a multi-card reader model. The rest of the hardware was the same, although I think the 20GB unit didn't do backwards compatibility.

Xbox One/PS4 has been mostly first person shooter sequels..

You're referring to third party games.

When it comes to first and second party games. The PS4 generation still has just much variety as the previous playstation consoles.

Exclusives such as

The Last of Us, Death Stranding, Detroit, Infamous Second Son, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Part 2, Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Bloodborne, Ni No Kuni 2, Until Dawn, Yakuza 6, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian...etc which are non first person shooters.

Also you're missing out a huge chuck of these exclusive games by dismissing the PS5. Be a true gamer like me. I own a fairly decent high end PC. 9900k @ 5.1ghz + 2080 Ti, Nintendo Switch, & PS4 Pro.

I'm not bias towards any brands nor do I resort to fanboyism or have some sort of PC elite attitude mentality

I get to enjoy the best of both worlds. Console's exclusive games, while enjoying the best multi platform forms experience that PC provides.

Owns a $2000 PC, not elitist. #TrueGamer

Owns a $2000 PC, not elitist. #TrueGamer

What's wrong with hobbies? Also I don't go around preaching/saying that consoles sucks, cinematic 30fps, conslow...etc That's the mentality of what an elite attitude mentality bias is.

I still enjoy gaming on consoles.

Last edited:
I'm a PC only gamer, but after watching the Last of US and Days gone walkthroughs on youtube, I'm itching to play them and then Last of US II 4. Also would like to play God of War. I was going to get a second hand PS4 Pro, but might wait for PS5. Still I hate hardware exclusive seeing now the convergence of PS4, Xbox and PC cpu and gpu. Last of US etc would sell a crap load on PC, why deny yourself a ton of revenue. At least some companies are coming to their senses and releasing previous PS4 exclusive like Detroit Become Human on PC.

Back