Rumors of a GameCube Classic Edition arise from newly filed trademarks

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Rumor mill: New trademarks for the Nintendo GameCube software and hardware suggest that a GameCube Classic Edition could be coming in the future. However, as we still have not seen or even heard any word on an N64 Classic, it could be a long while before we have any official word.

When Nintendo announced at E3 that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would come with support for GameCube controllers, it was not a big surprise. We reported last October that Nintendo had quietly added support for the 17-year-old console peripheral in a firmware update. However, new trademark filings may indicate that the company has more GameCube plans in the works than just a special-edition SSBU controller.

Japanese Nintendo has uncovered three new GameCube related trademark filings. The registrations appear to be regarding gaming machines and software, and not just a renewal on the old GameCube controller.

We're still waiting for a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition to arrive.

Of course, anytime patent or trademark filings are found, communities tend to speculate wildly as to what they mean. The common theory here is that the company is planning a GameCube Classic Edition.

This idea falls in line with Nintendo’s recent marketing strategy of re-releasing miniature versions of its old consoles. However, we should keep in mind that a year ago similar trademarks were found regarding the Nintendo 64 that stirred up speculation that an N64 Classic was coming, but other than a more recent filing that further fueled the rumor mill, there still has been no official word on such a project.

So as always, take this news with a large helping of salt. Even if Nintendo does have plans for a GameCube Classic Edition, it could be a very long time before we see it, especially if the N64 re-release has to come first.

Permalink to story.

I'm still waiting for the true successor to the N64. Its been nothing but mobile crap ever since.

Still have my silver gamecube. My copy of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is probably worth more than the entire machine at this point though. It emulates really well.

My old GameCube still works more-or-less perfectly. Perhaps more surprisingly, so do my GBA and N64. Nintendo products have always had the best durability of all systems for me, though I mostly game on PC now.

Yeah my GameCube is still hooked up and works just fine. I don't play it much anymore, but the kids do.

My old GameCube still works more-or-less perfectly. Perhaps more surprisingly, so do my GBA and N64. Nintendo products have always had the best durability of all systems for me, though I mostly game on PC now.
The more durable of the bunch should be the Nintendo 64, since it doesn't have any moving parts. Particularly the disc drive.

An @Skjorn, what exactly do you mean by mobile crap?

Fortunately there's Dolphin emulator to prevent me getting on these retro console remake craze designed to milk more money from those who are willing to splash money on everything "retro".

How is the gamecube "mobile crap"? Or the Wii for that matter?

Also, the GBA and DS had a great many games that were flat out fantastic titles, a far cry from mobile phone games.
Alright, the gamecube was good my bad, the wii was fun. The gamecube is a bit underrated really, much better than the PS2 back in the day. The wii didn't really have the power compared to other consoles like its predecessors. Their mobile game is strong I guess.

Back