Safe mode rebooting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfrogers

Running XP I wanted to speed computer up. After Refrag., register programs, etc I got no where. Computer boots very slow but fine. However when I boot it up in Safe Mode it only goes for 10 seconds +/- and reboots computer. Why

Not much is loaded in Safe mode, this could be a video driver fault

You may need to download the correct drivers for your video card (from the manufactures web site (or your computer's motherboard site if it's not an addon card)
Then remove the video drivers fully from Device Manager (Go to System in Control Panel then Hardware)

Then go back to Safe mode, to see if it restarts

Try running a CHKDSK, if there's file errors it'll sort them out.

My Computer, right click on the Drive, PROPERTIES, TOOLS, Error Checking.

Tick both the Boxes, reboot & hopefully it'll sort it out.

If notyou might want to run Memtest & or the Diagnostic for your Hard Drive.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Download the version you want - either for a Floppy, or an ISO for a CD - boot from it {you may need to set it as 1st boot device in the BIOS} & it'll just run. Let it go for at least an hour {if no errors found straight away}. Any error = bad RAM.

Basically the same for the Hard Drive Diagnostic, make a Floppy or CD, boot from it. Run the Short test, if it passed, run the long. If it failed, time for a new Hard Drive.

++ if you are gonna use the CD method, make sure you burn it as an ISO... In Nero7 it's in the "Backup" section, "Burn Image to disk" otherwise it won't be bootable++

EDIT - this explains it better than I can! https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

To run CHKDSK

Open My Computer
Right Click on C drive
Select Properties
Select Tools tab
Select Check Now button
Tick "Automatically fix file system errors"
Start YES OK
Restart your computer
Wait for Check Disk to start/finish

Then test again

Thank you for your time. Ran chkdsk your way and my way(MSDOS Prompt) CHKDSK. Did not help. Found two errors & repaired. I also found more icons on lower right bar. Still reboots going into Safe Mode.

well you're on to the create a memtest bootable cd I suppose.
Obviously downloaded (the ISO) and burn on another computer
Please refer above, for howto.

Check for PIO

hfrogers said:
Running XP I wanted to speed computer up. After Refrag., register programs, etc I got no where. Computer boots very slow but fine. However when I boot it up in Safe Mode it only goes for 10 seconds +/- and reboots computer. Why

If you are sure you have no current Virus infection, and you're not loading masses of start-up items on boot, then a slow boot and performance is often attributed to the fact that your IDE has switched from DMA to PIO (as a result of a problem), I come across this all the time.

Take a look in Device Manager, Advanced Settings.
If you see "PIO MODE" under "Current Transfer Mode" then that will be why you're PC is running slow on boot, and performance.

IF it's PIO then let me know and I'll give you instructions for putting it right.

Safe Mode rebooting Computer on startup

Thank you for responding. Looked into System settings and found only 1 PIO on Secondary IDE Controller on Device 1. All others are set to DMA. I set it to DMA. I have C: and D: drives. D: has nothing on it. One thing I've noticed is my PC100 memory cards are not showing their correct values. A 156 card shows 64. I have lived with this since I built it. I'm running 4 computers in my house. One xp portable, basement xp desktop thats giving the trouble, wife's win98se and my main computer which has win98se.

kimsland said:
well you're on to the create a memtest bootable cd I suppose.
Obviously downloaded (the ISO) and burn on another computer
Please refer above, for howto.

I ran memtest and no errors after 2 passes. I put in a AGP Card instead of my PCI Card. Same results.

Safe mode reboot

I'm back. Working with a neighbor, networking his computers. This computer is not my working computer that I use every day, My memory problem was caused by putting in higher value chips when only 3ea 256 max were allowed. Computer is still very slow and reboots when entering SAFE Mode. Still looking for tips.

Safe Mode now rebooting computer

I started to unistall various programs to speed up booting time. To no advail. Change BIOS to default BIOS setting and then plated with a few settings and computer now boots in SAFE Mode. Now down to finding out why computer is so slow.

It's not clear from your posts if you've checked for / done each of the following (please confirm yes or no for each)
  1. Ran a thorough virus scan
  2. Scanned for rootkits
  3. Checked for spyware. (If you;d like to run HJT and have the output log reviewed by others look at this Techspot link)
  4. Reviewed all of your startup programs to see if you really need them (or want them at startup). Pacman's Portal on startup program provides both a good explanation of the problem, what to look for as well as a database of startup program information
  5. Checked the Event Logs (both System Log and Application Log) to see if there's any useful hints

Wow LookinAround that site pacs-portal is excellent. It even has reference to TechSpot, through it and also under Other Useful Links.

I think I might make this my number 1 check startups reference.
Does TechSpot have an affiliation with this site ? ie run by a member here ?

Good post :)

Hey, thanks kimsland. Glad you like the site. I found that many other sites that offer info about startups actually get their info/data from pacs portal. And it offers good problem overview/instructions for noobs.

Always helps when one has a collection of handy reference sites and useful software tools in their back pocket. I used to keep 'em in my pocket protector but had to finally catch up with the times :rolleyes:

LookinAround said:
It's not clear from your posts if you've checked for / done each of the following (please confirm yes or no for each)

1. [Yes]Ran a thorough virus scan
    [Yes]Scanned for rootkits
    [Yes]Checked for spyware. (If you;d like to run HJT and have the output log reviewed by others look at this Techspot link)
    [Yes]Reviewed all of your startup programs to see if you really need them (or want them at startup). Pacman's Portal on startup program provides both a good explanation of the problem, what to look for as well as a database of startup program information
    [No]Checked the Event Logs (both System Log and Application Log) to see if there's any useful hints
I did not find event logs. I think computer AMD K6-2 300 is to slow for XP. Only slight improvement when shuting down all services using MSCONFIG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back