Sales of 'No Man's Sky' for PS4 cool in second week

Shawn Knight

Staff member

No Man’s Sky, the highly anticipated space exploration game from indie developer Hello Games, topped the sales charts following its first week on the market. Based on limited preliminary figures, it’s not doing quite as well in its second week.

GfK Chart-Track, which monitors the sale of media in the UK, reports that No Man’s Sky has already given up pole position to F1 2016, a Formula 1 racing game from Codemasters. What’s alarming is that, as VG247 points out, first week sales of F1 2016 are down 32 percent compared to last year’s F1 2015 and while sales of No Man’s Sky are down 81 percent compared to launch week.

But, there’s a catch… a mighty big catch. GfK Chart-Track only tracks games sold at retail meaning digital copies aren’t included. Translation – virtually none of No Man Sky’s PC sales are taken into account here. It’s also worth pointing out that No Man’s Sky isn’t available for the Xbox One, just the PlayStation 4 and PC, where as F1 2016 is offered across all three platforms.

Let’s not glance over the missing PC sales as that’s quite significant. No Man’s Sky is currently the 17th most popular game on Steam. It’s also worth noting that how long a game holds the top spot isn’t exactly the best metric to determine success. Instead, many consider a title’s staying power on the top 20 chart as a better indication of whether or not it’s a winner.

Permalink to story.

Yep .... when you get found out the word spreads rapidly. I will be frankly surprised to see the game last a year, especially as poorly as it was developed for the PC.

Has anyone here watched the star citizen play through from games comm this year? That looks a hell of a lot better than No Mans Sky!

Has anyone here watched the star citizen play through from games comm this year? That looks a hell of a lot better than No Mans Sky!

Yup they have bigger team and multiple times the money. Really whats wrong is the pricing and sony hype, for 20$ this would be excellent game.

Maybe this game just doesn't appeal to all those short attention span millennials who demand big explosions and the ability to troll complete strangers in multi player... Hopefully with a bit of time and patience we will get to see more features as the game matures, which I don't mind as I'm used to playing space engineers which still has a long way to go but has grown a lot since I first started playing it. Hopefully NMS is the same... it already does planets better then space engineers.

Maybe this game just doesn't appeal to all those short attention span millennials who demand big explosions and the ability to troll complete strangers in multi player... Hopefully with a bit of time and patience we will get to see more features as the game matures, which I don't mind as I'm used to playing space engineers which still has a long way to go but has grown a lot since I first started playing it. Hopefully NMS is the same... it already does planets better then space engineers.

Its more or less that I feel cheated by Hello Games. Every single preview they showed us had content that is NO WHERE to be found in the game. I thought the game was pretty fun for about 3 hours and then I got really bored. If it was being sold between 15-20 bucks I wouldnt be so upset, but the fact that they sold it for 60 bucks is maddening...

- No multiplayer
- No factions
- No epic space battles
- Learning the languages takes far too long and becomes pointless
- All the ships looks the exact same
- SPOILER ----- From what I saw online the center of the universe just triggers a shitty cinematic clip (Not as epic as they stated it would be once you reached the center)

I wish I had gotten the 10-13 hours enjoyment he did :(
Same. I'm just glad I got to refund the game before my time was up.

Very disappointed that it's a shadow of what we were shown over the years. I do hope it vastly improves over its lifespan and they don't just abandon it. Really wanted to play a space sim with the freedom it offered, but the game just fell flat on its face on so many levels.

Back to waiting for Star Citizen/Squadron 42.. back to waiting for Elite: Dangerous' paid updates.

Why are modern space sims cursed? *sigh*

Its more or less that I feel cheated by Hello Games. Every single preview they showed us had content that is NO WHERE to be found in the game. I thought the game was pretty fun for about 3 hours and then I got really bored. If it was being sold between 15-20 bucks I wouldnt be so upset, but the fact that they sold it for 60 bucks is maddening...

- No multiplayer
- No factions
- No epic space battles
- Learning the languages takes far too long and becomes pointless
- All the ships looks the exact same
- SPOILER ----- From what I saw online the center of the universe just triggers a shitty cinematic clip (Not as epic as they stated it would be once you reached the center)
I will admit I was expecting more from this game too and I hope more gets added, but I like it for the fact that like with Minecraft I can go where I want and do what I want without always being pushed through a game by a convoluted narrative or forced sequence of events, though I do like story driven games, its nice to mess about in a game space that's not too taxing every once in a while... And were else can you stumble upon a herd of flying cows with butterfly wings fluttering on top of their heads... (I actually thought I was tripping when first I saw those).

In case anyone was hoping to return NMS on Steam, they are now allowing users to return NMS even if you've played more than 2hrs. I just successfully returned it with a little under 6 hours of game time and look forward to getting Deus Ex instead.

Hello games is turning into Goodbye games

The problem isn't the short attention span of millennials, it's that the game creator lied through his teeth about the features and tricked gamers into paying a premium price for an incomplete product. If he had been honest about the features and released it for 20 dollars as a payable Beta while he finished programming it I think the game would have been a huge success for years to come.

Back