Samsung countersues LG over OLED patent claims

Rick

Staff

It looks like Samsung and LG Display are still at it. The latest wrinkle between the two companies is a Samsung-led lawsuit filed in Korea which alleges seven of LG's OLED patents "lack innovation". Apparently, Samsung hopes to invalidate those LG patents -- presumably the same seven patents which LG has been trying to bludgeon Samsung with since September. 

A couple months ago, LG sought a permanent injunction plus damages against Samsung for purportedly violating several patents with five of its products. Those infringing Samsung devices include the ever-popular Galaxy line-up: Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Galaxy Note.

Samsung warned LG it would follow up with a countersuit if necessary -- it has officially made good on that threat. A Samsung spokesman said, "These are typical legal steps to defend a company's stance in a patent infringement suit".

Although Samsung is defending itself against LG's patent claims, LG's own accusations aren't without irony. Earlier this year, LG admitted that six of its employees were involved in the misappropriation of OLED-related patents from Samsung. In 2011, Samsung had charged LG Display and 11 individuals in South Korea with stealing proprietary AMOLED technology in addition to accusing its rival of employee poaching.

LG admitted its employees crossed the line, but denied any legal wrongdoing. It dismissed Samsung's "trade secrets" as common knowledge across the industry.

Incidentally, both LG and Samsung have plans to release the first 55-inch OLED television sets. The super-thin televisions were originally slated for earlier this year; however, due to manufacturing difficulties, both companies have decided to postpone their release until late 2013.

Permalink to story.

To be fair, Samsung has always done its best to innovate. I say this as someone who sells both the phones and tvs. I can also state with 100% conviction that there really isnt any other phones out there with the same screen type as the Galaxy series. And I call super BS on LG saying that they had no idea that their employees were stealing Samsung patent/product ideas. Someone in upper upper managment told these employees to do this. We all know that when giant mega corporation boss tells you to do something, you dont argue, you do it. I think LG has been caught not only with its hands in Samsungs cookie jar, they also have crumbs all over their face. This suit will quickly fall to the wayside when Samsung shows which ever judge/magistrate/arbitrator the proof of LG using corporate espinoge in order to beat out Samsung.

I feel really bad for Samsung, they make a lot of great products and keep getting screwed over left and right.

I turn to Samsung or LG when buying HDTV's or recommending them to friends. I find it funny they are at each others throats.

I turn to Samsung or LG when buying HDTV's or recommending them to friends. I find it funny they are at each others throats.
It's probably just a prejudice or quirk on my part, but I don't even consider LG, "a name brand". I've never really considered buying any of their offerings....:confused:

It's probably just a prejudice or quirk on my part, but I don't even consider LG, "a name brand". I've never really considered buying any of their offerings....:confused:

You should their LG smart TV is a really good competitor to the double the price Samsung equivalent, I used to swear by Samsung but I wanted a Smart TV and just couldn't afford to buy a TV that was over £1000 and more for anything over 32" and let's be honest they all have the same screens in them anyway, I took the plunge summer time and bought a new 2012 42" LG Smart 1080p 100Hz 3D LED TV and have loved it ever since, the built in sound destroys the Samsung and the A+ energy rating is a plus, and the picture quality is really good, trying to buy the equivalent Samsung would have cost me £2000 and that was with shopping around, the LG cost me £680 and I've now purchased a surround sound 3D blu-ray home cinema system from LG, I've replaced the standard speaker cable with a better quality copper 17AWG cable and I can't fault it, looks and sounds much better than my old Sony unit.

I've replaced the standard speaker cable with a better quality copper 17AWG cable and I can't fault it, looks and sounds much better than my old Sony unit.
Dude, next time, get thee to Home Depot, and spring for 14 AWG LAMP CORD! Last time I checked, lamp cord was half the price of that pretty clear speaker wire in an equivalent gauge. Lamp cord is polarized, (there's a ridge running on one side), so you can't screw up the polarity, and it can't really be seen once it's on the floor tucked away. You can pull 15 amps, (or thereabouts), on 14 gauge stranded.

Dude, next time, get thee to Home Depot, and spring for 14 AWG LAMP CORD! Last time I checked, lamp cord was half the price of that pretty clear speaker wire in an equivalent gauge. Lamp cord is polarized, (there's a ridge running on one side), so you can't screw up the polarity, and it can't really be seen once it's on the floor tucked away. You can pull 15 amps, (or thereabouts), on 14 gauge stranded.

Thanks for the heads up mines not clear though it's vacuumed and over 30 meters, I was googling around and read a few site that said use 16-17 AWG wire for that sort of length, I'm in the UK so I'll have to have a look around for some other place that sells it but thanks for the heads up, either way the cable I got is miles better than the string LG, Sony and Samsung gives you haha.

Back