Samsung mocks iPad, Surface and Kindle in new Galaxy Tab Pro ad

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Samsung has taken on not one, not two, but all three of its high-profile competitors in the latest advertisement for its own Galaxy Tab Pro tablet line-up. The ad talks down Apple's iPad, Microsoft's Surface, and Amazon's Kindle, just to show that Samsung tablets can do more than other tablets.

Samsung mocks the iPad's apparent inability to do multiple things at once, something which the Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 is capable of thanks to multitasking mode. It then takes a jab at Microsoft pointing out the Surface's identity crisis when a woman asks a man to move his laptop. "It's actually a tablet," he responds, much to the amusment of the woman and another man who poke fun at the attached battery dock, mouse and keyboard.

The ad then takes a dig at Amazon's Kindle suggesting that the tablet is only for books, before taking one last shot at Apple and its “retina thingy”, when the woman in the ad realizes her friend's Samsung tablet actually looks better becuase it has more pixels than her iPad.

Samsung has never been shy about trash talking its competitors in ads and this is no exception. Whether you agree with them or not it's a fun commercial to watch. Equally amusing, though, is Samsung's small print disclaimer noting that its multi-window multitasking software doesn’t work with all apps.

Permalink to story.

Bashes everything else because they can't multitask -> surface can
Bashes everything else because they don't have a keyboard -> surface does
Bashes surface because you "can't move it;" that physically makes no sense?
Bashes everything for having an inferior screen -> surface has a higher resolution screen with better colour reproduction and viewing angles (thus making it a better screen, pixel density be damned)

Em... so what you are telling me is that the Microsoft Surface wins, and Samsung really thinks its customers are morons.

And I'm not even an MS fanboy. Samsung just make AWFUL adverts (bar the waiting outside for iPhone launch day, that was good)

Pfft. Gave up at "you can't move it".

This looks and sounds like a new low by Samsung, quite so retarded.
I don't watch much commercial television because well, I hate commercials but I do watch car shows and occasional sports. From what I have seen, just about every company has their own dirtbag commercial that knocks the others. Apple & Kindle are not innocent here.
People in todays society have little to no honor or respect, they just care about money. So, it is a surprise to you the company thinks the same way?

This looks and sounds like a new low by Samsung, quite so retarded.

If your gonna advertise your product atleast offer a logical comparison not a stupid video trying to make your product looks better than competitors which by the way some of the info on the video is wrong....

If I had a product I would offer up comparisons by talk not by trying to make my product look like it is the only device in the world with those features... and YES the kindle has youtube something else which the video is wrong about... atleast tell the truth samsung dont lie in your ads

If it helps sales, do it. What are they going to do, compare Office on ipad to some cheezy Android app?

Well, they said, can you move your laptop, not, oh its a surface you cant move it. So well done on taking in what you watched. Then bashing Samsung, badly.

But so what, its cheeky isn't it ? And people like Apple, and some MS, and some Kindle, which btw did they compare the fire or just the white paper ? Cause if they are comparing the white paper or such device, YouTube ? Are you sure, because, when they said it just did books ... I think they were aiming at the just does books models. Again, GG on the rebash.

Loved the Ad.

Honestly I never really have seen much bashing ads from apple lately, but they have there market share and that's pretty much gonna stay the same. When the surface bashed apple it was at least showing both devices in there environment and just comparing some features. Kindle has bashed apple but mainly just over the price. Samsung has managed to bash everyone with little to no evidence to back up there device against the other ones, and shown there complete and total lack of respect for all there competition, classy. Unfortunately for them I see this as a bad image for the company I was already on the fence about keeping my galaxy s4 mini but if I am going to be associated with the kinds of people in this commercial then I want no device with a Samsung logo on it.

I liked the ad especially the part where the lady goes "well mine's got the retina thingy".

I haven't seen this ad yet. But as for the product, if I'm as unimpressed with it as the rest of what Samsung or Toshiba sells, I'll likely opt for the "mute" button, when it comes on.

Now let's do the advertising limbo..;) How low can you go?

Negative political ads are the lowest of bottom feeding, scum sucking, defamatory, slander-fests.

But guess what, sometimes they're at least partially true, and they win elections.

It is believed that John F, Kennedy defeated Richard M. Nixon for the presidency with this one liner; "would you buy a used car from this man"?

And sure enough, if elections results are any indicator, most people wouldn't buy a used car from Nixon.

Not exactly an ad spot, but it does go to show, how powerful negativism, combined with a complete lack of principles, great delivery, and good comic timing, can be!(y)

I haven't seen this ad yet. But as for the product, if I'm as unimpressed with it as the rest of what Samsung or Toshiba sells, I'll likely opt for the "mute" button, when it comes on.

Now let's do the advertising limbo..;) How low can you go?

Negative political ads are the lowest of bottom feeding, scum sucking, defamatory, slander-fests.

But guess what, sometimes they're at least partially true, and they win elections.

It is believed that John F, Kennedy defeated Richard M. Nixon for the presidency with this one liner; "would you buy a used car from this man"?

And sure enough, if elections results are any indicator, most people wouldn't buy a used car from Nixon.

Not exactly an ad spot, but it does go to show, how powerful negativism, combined with a complete lack of principles, great delivery, and good comic timing, can be!(y)
Most of the time I watch broadcast TV I watch the BBC as they do not have any adverts interrupting the programs. The TV regulators in the UK relaxed the rules and allowed the commercial TV channels increase adverts breaks by 5 minutes an hour. When watching Downton Abbey with the missus during the add breaks there was enough time to go to the loo and make a cup of tea and I would still have to endure an ad or two.

A number of years ago I have a trip on the Heathrow Express train and I was not impressed that they had TV screens pumping out continuous ads with sound. It must be one of the few occasions when I felt vandalism would have been socially acceptable and justified.

I kind of liked the ad.

However, the fine print said: "Screen images simulated. Sequences shortened. Multi Window does not support all apps."

So it really cherry picks things, I think that is fine though. It also leaves the door open for rebuttal ads if a competitor so chooses.

I kind of liked the ad.

However, the fine print said: "Screen images simulated. Sequences shortened. Multi Window does not support all apps."

So it really cherry picks things, I think that is fine though. It also leaves the door open for rebuttal ads if a competitor so chooses.
Nothing unusual in that as I have seen iPhone ads with disclaimers such as 'sequences shown have been shortened'. The ads for new computer games often have the disclaimer 'not actual game play'.

@Railman Right, but when you are comparing your device's functionality to your competitors' it is a little disingenuous to fake the on screen happenings.

Nothing unusual in that as I have seen iPhone ads with disclaimers such as 'sequences shown have been shortened'. The ads for new computer games often have the disclaimer 'not actual game play'.
\Right, but when you are comparing your device's functionality to your competitors' it is a little disingenuous to fake the on screen happenings.

OK, you two, it's not "disingenuous" to indicate that the picture on the device being advertised is a "fake".

It's simply not possible to portray the actual results of one device with another. In other words, the pictures on an iPad, (or whatever), will always look like the device you're viewing them on, in this case your home TV.

If the TV has 1920 lines of resolution, a the device being huckstered is also the same resolution, but only occupies 1/5 of the TV screen width, how can it possibly appear as it would in real life? And then you have the TV's color balance, color gamut, and contrast ratio to contend with.

It's simply not possible to portray one device's screen presence, with another.

I don't think that is what they are implying with 'simulated', maybe I'm wrong. I'd guess that it is like video game sequences shown at CES or whatever where it is a pre rendered thing rather than being rendered in real time like it would be if you actually bought the game (or device in this case).

I don't think that is what they are implying with 'simulated', maybe I'm wrong.
In the case of game play, it would almost have to be "simulated", wouldn't it? The game is probably running, (if at all, and not just a still wallpaper), in what I'm going to call, (for want of a better term), "screen saver mode".

I really don't know about today's high tech shoot em ups, but stuff like M$' "Train Simulator", you can just turn on and it will drive the route for you. (While saving the old CRT monitors from burning in spots).

I really can't understand why you two seem to have a problem with the "fine print" aspect of these commercials.

You can't show what a panel would look like with another panel. And it's completely unnecessary, not to mention difficult and impractical, to have a game being actually played, while a guy's on TV trying to huckster the tablet.

I mean the message is pretty clear, "hey, this is a really cool, good looking tablet" Why don't you pop down to the tablet store and check one out.

As far a negative advertising goes, I surely hope those s***s at Apple have nothing to say about it. Or as I like to put it, "I am a PC m*****r f*****r, so what? You want to make something of it"?:cool:

(I used to say that to my TV all the time when Apple's, " I'm a PC," commercials were running).

I said I liked the ad. So the screen simulated part is a small problem I have, I think you overthought that by going into the ultra high res tablets not being pixel for pixel represented on a tv screen. I'm just saying I think when that is a disclaimer, they likely had prerendered 'videos' that they put on the tablet screens to have them work 'better' than in real life.

What is the problem with actually filming real time usage? Oh, the problem is stuff doesn't work as smoothly as they want to portray in the commercial.

I don't think that is what they are implying with 'simulated', maybe I'm wrong.
In the case of game play, it would almost have to be "simulated", wouldn't it? The game is probably running, (if at all, and not just a still wallpaper), in what I'm going to call, (for want of a better term), "screen saver mode".

I really don't know about today's high tech shoot em ups, but stuff like M$' "Train Simulator", you can just turn on and it will drive the route for you. (While saving the old CRT monitors from burning in spots).

I really can't understand why you two seem to have a problem with the "fine print" aspect of these commercials.

You can't show what a panel would look like with another panel. And it's completely unnecessary, not to mention difficult and impractical, to have a game being actually played, while a guy's on TV trying to huckster the tablet.

I mean the message is pretty clear, "hey, this is a really cool, good looking tablet" Why don't you pop down to the tablet store and check one out.

As far a negative advertising goes, I surely hope those s***s at Apple have nothing to say about it. Or as I like to put it, "I am a PC m*****r f*****r, so what? You want to make something of it"?:cool:

(I used to say that to my TV all the time when Apple's, " I'm a PC," commercials were running).

ayep..

Apple Started it..

Microsoft Started it..

MO-om.. he's touching me..

I'm just saying I think when that is a disclaimer, they likely had prerendered 'videos' that they put on the tablet screens to have them work 'better' than in real life.

What is the problem with actually filming real time usage? Oh, the problem is stuff doesn't work as smoothly as they want to portray in the commercial.
Perhaps so. We all know that a tablet isn't a gaming rig. We also know that video will run better on a low power VGA, than will "Crysis".

In any case, big corporations lie in their advertising. Or rather, have ad agencies lie for them, to preserve, "plausible deniability".

However, an iPad likely won't work any better that the Samsung at playing the same game. (Which is a stretch to even suggest that the same game is available for both platforms).

So, both panels would likely "walk like an Egyptian", when demand on the VGA would be at, "climax".

So, I say they're both lying to more or less the same degree. That could be viewed in two ways. In the negative, as in, "two wrongs don't make a right", or as in sport, "the two penalties are offsetting". And you might be over thinking this aspect of the issue a bit.

Besides, it's quite difficult to portray one display with another because of a conflict in framing and scan issues. Did you ever view an actual TV on a TV you were watching? Lines and flickering tend to abound. You can see helicopter rotors stop, blur, and repeat. The same goes for aircraft propellers, box fans, and you name it.

So, of course they're "faking it". But, like your favorite love interest, you'd be better off not knowing, or even asking, if she were faking it....:eek:

I was pissed about them trying to bash the Surface, that IMO blows most tablets crappy attempts at making a productivity tablet right out of the water. Assuming you have the Pro version, you pretty much have all you need as a young professional businessman/woman.

Even the RT version is more desirable IMO. The fact that they acted like having the keyboard and mouse was a bad thing...sad.

Back