Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 34" Review

My dream panel, is a 38" (3840 x 1600) version of this. I already have a Asus PG42UQ oled, but I want an ultrawide'r...

Once you game on a OLED it is hard to go back to anything else, because the motion clarity is incredible...

Following a few forums/reddits with monitor techs, there is a significant issue with a burn-ins on that panels. While large screens like most modern TV's actually manage this surprisingly well, alienware is strongly affected by it.
Still waiting for new gen of those, with technology better tailored for PC use (and at least 1600p with UW), especially given Windows implementation is really lacking, and linux one is still in early stage.

What I want to know is how bad this monitor for AMD users in everyday scenarios. You are doing test scenarios, and checking performance with measuring tools, but would average Joe notice this is typical everyday use? Or would you only notice this of you were specifically looking for it?

The tech enthusiast in me greatly enjoyed this detailed review and all its many topics of inquiry. I also really liked the care of pointing out characteristics of the panel (and thus common to the class) vs. unique to this product.

The practical shopper in me, had I been in this market, would only have needed the one sentence about "this model has no burn-in warranty while other similar ones do." Until these monitors are much less expensive, that protection is much more valuable than any small visual or performance margin.

Fantastic that Samsung uses a protective film over the screen to protect it from damage during shipping. My Alienware DWF had fine scratches and smudges (which can be seen with bright light/torch) due to the way it is packaged during shipping. Dell should take note! Definitely considering the G8 as an alternative. One question I have - is it possible to completely turn off wifi and bluetooth functionality in the monitor?

Following a few forums/reddits with monitor techs, there is a significant issue with a burn-ins on that panels. While large screens like most modern TV's actually manage this surprisingly well, alienware is strongly affected by it.
Still waiting for new gen of those, with technology better tailored for PC use (and at least 1600p with UW), especially given Windows implementation is really lacking, and linux one is still in early stage.
These panels do not suffer from burn-in IF one is not completely clueless. Four easy to follow rules:

1) Don't leave a bright, static image going for 24 hours at high brightness (why WOULD anyone do this, anyway?)
2) Familiarize yourself with the screensaver feature used in all OS's.
3) Auto-hide the taskbar
4) Use fullscreen when convenient (F11 in Windows) to hide always-open tabs.

These are simple things to do if you want to enjoy the best gaming/HDR picture in the world right now. Other than text fringing (which I think is being completely hyped - cough cough, Tim S) unless you have a hobby of looking at your screen through a magnifier it's a non-issue. This tech destroys IPS/VA/TN panels in every way.

Back