Samsung presents 146-inch modular MicroLED TV aptly called "The Wall"

Greg S

We learned last year that Samsung had plans to showcase MicroLED technology at CES. Now that the show is upon us, Samsung is following through with their intentions of massive LED TVs.

The Wall is a 146-inch modular TV built using extremely tiny LEDs. There is no need for color filters or backlighting thus there is no light bleed. Being a modular TV, each segment is completely bezel-free and allows for the display to be resized as needed.

No pricing has been announced for The Wall but there is no question that it is going to be beyond the reach of most consumers. A more traditional 4K TV is still the best available without breaking the bank.

Moving beyond 4K, Samsung has also featured the first QLED TV with 8K AI technology. South Korea and the US will be able to purchase a QLED TV with upscaling to 8K in the second half of 2018. With the lack of raw 8K content available, upscaling is the next best solution but still not quite as good as native footage.

Cord cutting remains popular but Samsung is sure that some users still watch regular TV on their displays. To help find what to watch, Universal Guide will act as a program guide and offer recommended TV shows based on viewing habits.

Not to be forgotten, Samsung's voice assistant Bixby is finding its way to TVs. Integrating with the SmartThings IoT hub and making navigation of menus easier, Bixby stands behind all voice recognition for Samsung.

Permalink to story.

If I had a sliver of interest in this it was ruined by this one sentence.

"Not to be forgotten, Samsung's voice assistant Bixby is finding its way to TVs."

NOOO, PLEASE LETS FORGET IT.

Now lets talk about microLED burn in. lol

I would be surprised if the price on this is anything less than $100K US.

As for the gadget bling they are adding, I could care less. I would only use this, if I could afford it, as a display.

Now lets talk about microLED burn in. lol
Let's hope that for the price this thing will go for, there is none. In theory, anyway, there should be no burn in.

As for the gadget bling they are adding, I could care less. I would only use this, if I could afford it, as a display.

Let's hope that for the price this thing will go for, there is none. In theory, anyway, there should be no burn in.

In theory? I don't know, Ive seen plenty of LED and OLED burn in, though they say it should be minimal compared to older tech. Maybe these microLEDs will be a slightly different technology... but then again, I guess the good thing is that the screen is modular so you could just replace the section that has burn in. Typically, it wouldnt happen unless you are using the screen for a PC. Although, I've seen DVD menus burned into screens before. lol

In theory? I don't know, Ive seen plenty of LED and OLED burn in, though they say it should be minimal compared to older tech. Maybe these microLEDs will be a slightly different technology... but then again, I guess the good thing is that the screen is modular so you could just replace the section that has burn in. Typically, it wouldnt happen unless you are using the screen for a PC. Although, I've seen DVD menus burned into screens before. lol
It is well-known that OLEDs suffer from burn in much like plasma displays did. That is a result of the OLED material itself wearing over time.

However, the persistent image you see on LED tvs is not from the fact that they are illuminated by LEDs, but rather from the fact that they have an LCD layer over the LEDs that filters the light coming from the LEDs, whether FALD or Edge lit, and it is that LCD layer that maintains image persistence as it degrades. Essentially, it is the LCD layer that forms the image you see rather than the LEDs behind the LCD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in

With displays of the micro-LED type, the micro-leds are used as the pixels of the image. There is no layer over these LEDs. Imagine, for a moment, a marquee display like the score board in a sports stadium. Now imagine that the lights in that marquee that show the score are so tiny that the individual lights cannot be seen. This, in effect, is what "micro-LED" displays are. Being that these LEDs are solid-state, rather than organic as they are in OLEDs, their lifetimes should be significantly longer than OLEDs, and as such, should be significantly more immune to burn-in than their organic counterparts.

But, if Samsung is stupid enough to be using micro-LEDs that suffer from burn-in for some reason, then this display is sure to fail - at least as I see it. Even replacing a panel in a modular setup like this is something that I do not see as inexpensive.

Last edited:
If they are going to make modular displays, they should do it with 1080 resolution. And then make it a standard with a set of specific sizes. Make the displays easier to manufacture, manage, and replace.

All designed to keep you sucked into the Matrix. Best to turn the garbage off.

Back