Samsung unveils high-density NAND flash chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Samsung Electronics today unveiled two new flash-based storage solutions for mobile use: a high-density 64GB moviNAND flash memory chip and a removable 32GB micro secure digital (SD) card. Both products are based on Samsung's 32Gbit NAND flash memory chips, which use 30 nanometer lithography technology, allowing large amounts of storage to be crammed into tiny packages.

The 64GB moviNAND memory is only 1.4mm tall and comprises of 16 Multi-level cell based NAND chips and a controller. Both Toshiba and Samsung are currently suppliers of flash memory to Apple, and the two have announced similar capacity modules, only Samsung's solution has been in mass-production since December and will be first on the market. The moviNAND line also includes 32GB, 16GB, 8GB, and 4GB products.

It's not too hard to imagine then that the next iteration of iPhone and iPod touch devices will feature higher capacity on-board memory using modules from both companies -- as might competing smartphones and other mobile devices. Meanwhile, for all kinds of gadgets featuring expandable storage through microSD cards, Samsung's newest 32GB offering should be on the production lines starting next month.

Permalink to story.

If some of the new Android phones had this level of internal storage in them... I'd be leaping on them. Hopefully they'll get on the stick soon!

Speaking as an andriod phone owner, internal storage is not that big of a deal, but it would be nice considering my downloaded apps get stored in internal memory rather than my SD card. Im sure HTC will follow suite soon, need to upgrade my G1 soon

@aj_the_kidd - that app situation with Android is precisely what I was thinking about... The Appleheads love to throw that storage limitation into the arguments of why iPhones are superior - they can use any of their full internal storage space for apps, while Android only gets to use the limited internal, and even though it can expand with microSD cards, that isn't app space, just storage space.

I have a feeling that as apps become more complex, and the newer faster processors of units like the latest iPhones and the Google Nexus are capable of more and more things, the apps are going to grow dramatically in size - just look at the comparison between old DOS and Windows7 to get an idea of how software grows to fit the environment it lives in (like a goldfish). As those apps grow larger and larger, limited internal space will become a hindrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back