Samsung unveils its first triple camera handset: the Galaxy A7

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: In August last year, Samsung unveiled its first dual rear camera smartphone, the Note 8. Just over 12 months later, the company has joined Huawei by creating its first handset with a triple camera setup: the 2018 version of the Galaxy A7.

The Galaxy A7 boasts a triple-lens setup that features a 24MP primary camera with a F/1.7 aperture, an 8-megapixel shooter with a 120-degree ultra-wide field of view, and a 5MP “depth” module used for bokeh effects. There’s also a 24MP front-facing cam with an LED flash and "Selfie Focus" effect for adding bokeh. But being a mid-range device, there’s a noticeable absence of a telephoto lens.

One high-end feature the A7 does have is Intelligent Scene Optimizer, which debuted on the Galaxy S9. This automatically recognizes what you’re pointing the camera at and adjusts the camera settings to produce the best image quality.

The A7’s non-camera specs include a 6-inch 1,080 x 2,220 Super AMOLED screen, an 8-core 2.2 GHz processor (likely to be an Exynos 7885), 6GB of RAM, 128GB storage that’s expandable to 512GB, NFC for Samsung Pay, and a 3300mAh battery. There’s even a fingerprint sensor on the side, Dolby Atmos support, and Bixby—though there’s no dedicated button for the AI, which some may see as a plus point. All in all, some pretty impressive specs for a mid-range handset.

The new Galaxy A7 will be available in blue, black, gold and pink in select European and Asian markets from this fall. It will reach other locations at a later date. No word yet on price, but we’ll learn more about the phone, and Samsung’s first quad-camera device, at the Galaxy Event on October 11.

Permalink to story.

When is this "more is better" madness going to end?
More colors, more pixels, more density, smaller batteries.
Instead of more sensors, they need to make one LARGER sensor, to capture the available light data.
But, that would require a bigger lens, and it would lose its "sex appeal" of being slim & stylish.
Just put one camera on the back, with OIS and leave it at that. Want anything better, buy a real
camera that has a bigger lens/sensor.

Does it also have an audio jack?

The notch on the bottom of the phone would suggest so (im hoping it does). I hope this design language translates into the a3 2018 if that even comes out, the a3 2017 is really the biggest ill go with a phone..

I didn't realize taking pictures was that big of a deal, but for this generation it may be. Gone are the days when people just enjoy something, lets make sure we get the picture or recording though, that's the important thing.
My negativity aside, its a nice phone for someone who works in that field or wants that variety of camera options.

I didn't realize taking pictures was that big of a deal, but for this generation it may be. Gone are the days when people just enjoy something, lets make sure we get the picture or recording though, that's the important thing.
My negativity aside, its a nice phone for someone who works in that field or wants that variety of camera options.
Taking good pictures has always been a big thing even in the distant past. It's just that it was really expensive to buy good cameras back then so fewer got into it or just settled for something cheap at the closest brick and mortar store to them. It was also harder to educate yourself on what was good or not.

3 cameras? - yeah I've heard that professional photography studios are ditching their equipment and gang up on samsung production batch. Better secure yours now and thank me later. If not, better learn to take a selfie with a bulky DSLR which will be available in large quantities and cheap due to the inflood created on the market by professional studios trying to get rid of them so that they can restock with samsung 3 cameras phone.

Is this 4x fun means? More like 4x gimmick.

Anyway, on a serious note, Samsung always put experimental new features/Design on Galaxy A line lineups so it makes sense.

Back