Samsung unveils refreshed Gear VR headset priced under $100

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung VP of Mobile, Peter Koo, announced a new consumer version of his company’s Gear VR headset during the Oculus Connect 2 developer conference earlier today in Los Angeles.

The new Gear VR is 22 percent lighter than its predecessor which should make it a bit more comfortable when strapped to your noggin. Samsung has also improved the touchpad on the side of the visor, adding a directional pad that’ll make it easier to know exactly which part you’re touching.

Unlike the earlier model that was only compatible with a few devices, the new Gear VR will work with Samsung’s entirely 2015 smartphone lineup including the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge+ and the Note 5.

Samsung announced the original Gear VR headset a year ago as the Gear VR Innovator Edition. The device was built in collaboration with Oculus VR, the company responsible for jumpstarting the modern virtual reality movement.

Neither the Innovator Edition nor the new Gear VR are as versatile as the Oculus Rift but then again, they’re much more affordable and are already making virtual reality content available to consumers. The consumer-ready Oculus Rift isn’t expected until early next year and must be tethered to a powerful PC to operate.

Samsung’s new Gear VR is set to arrive in time for Black Friday in the US priced at $99 before making its way to other markets soon after.

Permalink to story.

A "cheap" gear to induce otherwise utterly pointless but expensive upgrades to the very latest phones.

They don't even support Note 4, well, then I won't support Samsung - keep your new VR Gear.

They really have got the nerve to treat their customers like this. When they brought the first generation of Gear VR they told us it only supports Note 4. And now less than 1 year later they bring the second generation, telling us it supports all except Note 4. That's some monkey business, trying to screw their customers.

Last edited:
"the new Gear VR will work with Samsung’s entirely 2015 smartphone lineup including the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge+ and the Note 5".
Those aren't exactly bread and butter things so in other words, if you own a more modest Sammy device, stuff you. Not that that's a big deal as far as I'm concerned, VR is still far from prime time readiness anyway.

A new device that only works with specific Samsung devices? Samsung are still trying to be Apple, creating a closed ecosystem that forces you to stay with them once you join. Best of luck there Samsung - I'd like to think that most Android users are too intelligent to fall into that trap.

Can I just ask - what can you even do with it? Use some VR apps?
That's all well and dandy if you've got money to burn, but no one really cares about this small time VR headset that is dwarfed by Oculus and co.
The main attraction for VR is VR gaming and movies, but gaming is still in early development, and VR films are never going to be mainstream...

Back