Samsung will discontinue LCD production by the end of this year

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? Amidst declining demand and oversupply, Samsung Display has announced that it will be ending production of all LCD panels at the company's South Korean and Chinese factories by this year's end.

Following in the footsteps of its home rival, LG, Samsung Display will also be ending LCD production by the year's end, the company announced recently. The development comes after waning consumer interest in LCDs, with Samsung pushing for its Quantum Dot display technology as the next big industry trend.

Demand for LCD technology has been gradually declining over the past few years, with OLEDs increasingly becoming mainstream on TVs and an essential battery-saving feature on the latest smartphones. Even Apple, which remains one of the biggest clients of Samsung displays, helped with this trend by switching to OLED for its flagship iPhones.

Samsung had planned for this transition in October last year when it made a five-year investment of $11 billion into its QD business and decided to convert one of its LCD manufacturing lines at home for helping with mass-production of QD displays. The company aims to set up a new Q1 line of 65-inch QD displays, with production scheduled for next year at its local facility in Asan.

Samsung also notes that existing LCD orders will be supplied to customers "without any issues," and that the company's LCD workforce will be moved to its OLED and QD businesses following this transition.

The company currently operates four LCD factories (two in South Korea, two in China) with its multi-year investment further helping with the transition at home, while it's yet to decide on future operations for its Chinese facilities.

Permalink to story.

I usually just buy the biggest and the least expensive. All of this advanced technology doesn’t really interest me because at the end of the day I’m just watching television from a set top box which is upscaling from 720 P.

I’d rather pay $700 for a 75” Vizio then I would spend over $2000 for a 50 inch “advanced technology whatever“.

I usually just buy the biggest and the least expensive. All of this advanced technology doesn’t really interest me because at the end of the day I’m just watching television from a set top box which is upscaling from 720 P.

I’d rather pay $700 for a 75” Vizio then I would spend over $2000 for a 50 inch “advanced technology whatever“.
You just blew my mind. I had no Idea a TV top box only steams at 720 and upscaled to 1080I... TV service is such a joke/rip off. Thanks.

You just blew my mind. I had no Idea a TV top box only steams at 720 and upscaled to 1080I... TV service is such a joke/rip off. Thanks.

Keep in mind that right now most cable infrastructures do not have the bandwidth to carry as much data as these televisions are capable of. The 4K content is usually a streaming service or a downloadable because in some places there are still data caps.

most of the TV we watch is 720 P upscaled to 1080I like you said. Usually if you play a video game system like Xbox or PlayStation it’s actual 1080 P which is why the visual quality is so much better.

I believe sports broadcasting prefers 720 P

Actually it isn't upscaled by your box, some HDTVs will upscale (say to 4K) from lower resolutions, but cable HDTV is limited to either 720p or 1080i for any given channel. The bandwidth requirements for both are relatively the same so there's no reason to only broadcast 720p. The big difference between 720p and 1080i is 720p will be 60fps while 1080i will be 30fps due to interlacing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-..._of_current_American_high-definition_channels

I'm assuming you're from the states, but the broadcast resolutions remain pretty much the same in other markets. As you can see a large percentage of channels actually broadcast in 1080i.

If it's not OLED, my eyes can't bear it anymore. Once you go OLED, u never go back. The quality is THAT good. Love my LG B8 OLED

Keep in mind that right now most cable infrastructures do not have the bandwidth to carry as much data as these televisions are capable of. The 4K content is usually a streaming service or a downloadable because in some places there are still data caps.

most of the TV we watch is 720 P upscaled to 1080I like you said. Usually if you play a video game system like Xbox or PlayStation it’s actual 1080 P which is why the visual quality is so much better.

I believe sports broadcasting prefers 720 P

I checked mine, it's a 4k top box system so it streams in at either 1080 or 4k. But it's using my internet that I'm paying for separately. I wouldn't even own a TV service if it wasn't for someone else in the house that watches it :) Cheers.

Back