Samsung's Galaxy S23 feature can bypass battery charging, power the phone directly

PriyaWalia

In a nutshell: Samsung's latest Galaxy S23 handsets come with several cool features, including the option to bypass charging when you're playing games, so your phone can be powered directly from the outlet and not charge at the same time, running cooler as a result.

Gamers and power users will appreciate Samsung's Galaxy S23 new feature called "Pause USB Power Delivery" that's been added to Game Booster settings, as discovered by YouTuber NL Tech. When enabled, the phone will halt charging and send power straight to the phone's hardware, bypassing the battery. This maintains the battery's health over time and keeps the phone cool.

The Pause USB Power Delivery feature appears to work without a specific charger, which is wonderful news. The feature prevents your phone from getting hot during activities that use a lot of power, like gaming. What usually happens when you plug in your charger, your phone starts juicing up the battery while also using energy to power the processor. But with bypass charging, the processor can manage the device's thermals better, overall heat production on the device is reduced and this should give you more efficient performance (e.g. avoid throttling).

On the downside, although the feature should work with S23, S23+, and S23 Ultra phones, owners are reporting the feature is not showing up on all devices, though it might get added later via software update.

Samsung didn't mention Pause USB Power Delivery during the Galaxy S23's introduction last week or in the One UI 5.1 changelog. Thus it remains to be seen whether the feature will be accessible to older Galaxy flagships.

Permalink to story.

Now that I think of it, how is this not a widespread thing by now? I know that some people leave devices plugged in (because they're not meant to be as mobile)...

I'm sure Apple will copy this feature next time around, but they'll sell it as something even better that they invented. Maybe call the feature the iPass and try to patent it. Because, you know, Apple doesn't copy others, they innovate!

One of the best things about this feature if the phone allows it is to recover data/photos etc in the charging system is damaged

I have been writing for many years that smartphone manufacturers deliberately do not give smartphone owners the opportunity to seamlessly use them from the power supply, like laptops. This is elementary to do (and such a function was originally included in the Android power manager) - it is enough to give the opportunity, as in laptops, to set charging thresholds. For example, do not charge the battery until the self-discharge reaches a certain value. For example, set charging only when the battery is discharged to 50% and do not charge it more than 75% while the smartphone for some reason hangs on charge for a long time (for example, you work at home and do not plan to go anywhere with it for a very long time).

But everything is done in such a way as to 100% kill your battery when constantly working from the power supply, unlike laptops, where this is the main mode of operation for most of their owners.

The bastards smartphone manufacturers have not even made the dumbest mode of operation, similar to that of a laptop - 100% > 95% (self-discharge) > 100%. Even so, it would increase the battery life at times from the power supply. For years.

Concerning the function in S23, it is useless, because the battery in *****ic games will still overheat from SoC temperatures because they are so close together. And it is IMPOSSIBLE to bypass the power supply to the battery, because. when holding a smartphone in your hands, especially if it is actively controlled - there is an occasional rattle of contacts in an extremely unreliable *****ic power plug and usb-c socket. Therefore, the battery must always work and have time to intercept power random loss, if it is lost due to instantaneous loss when the contact is broken in the usb-c socket.

My old smartphone from many years ago works fine without a battery at all, but the slightest shift in the usb-c socket immediately causes it to reboot. Therefore, the battery must work as a UPS all the time.

The main thing - what should be in any conscientiously made smartphone (and there are simply no such on the market today due to the fault of greedy manufacturers) - programmable charging thresholds, like in laptops and the minimum standart laptop mode is 100% -95%-100% for preserve battery life.

People who root their phones have been enjoying this with the Magisk module "Advanced Charging Controller" and a custom kernel that supports idle mode.

I'm sure Apple will copy this feature next time around, but they'll sell it as something even better that they invented. Maybe call the feature the iPass and try to patent it. Because, you know, Apple doesn't copy others, they innovate!
Pretty low effort Apple hating attempt, given the fact that you can't patent prior art.

Pretty low effort Apple hating attempt, given the fact that you can't patent prior art.

Between Apple's historical incessive marketing campaign heavily insinuating that the aforementioned "prior art" features were in fact "The Next Big Thing" in prior launches - I believe the sarcasm by @Kashim perfectly matches the delusions of Apple and their... Proficiency.

Between Apple's historical incessive marketing campaign heavily insinuating that the aforementioned "prior art" features were in fact "The Next Big Thing" in prior launches - I believe the sarcasm by @bviktor perfectly matches the delusions of Apple and their... Proficiency.
If you don't understand the difference between "patenting" and "marketing", I don't know what else to say to you.

iPhones and MacBooks have had this feature for years.

Back