Samsung's new Pro Endurance SD card can record 43,800 hours of video

midian182

Staff member

Large-capacity SD cards are great for storing lots of HD and 4K content, but for devices that record continuously, such as dash cams, body cams, and surveillance or security systems, reliability and endurance are just as important. That’s where Samsung’s aptly named Pro Endurance cards come in.

Samsung describes its new microSDHC/microSDXC cards as being built for intensive video monitoring applications, offering “industry-leading endurance.” They last around 25 times longer than other “speed-focused” cards, with the 128GB model able to handle up to 43,800 hours of 1080p video recording. That’s equal to five years of continuous use, and Samsung is backing up this claim with a five-year limited warranty.

The Pro Endurance cards can deliver read speeds of up to 100 MB/s with support for FHD recording and 4K with write speeds of up to 30MB/s.

Samsung says these cards are about as tough as you can get, able to withstand harsh environments and, as they feature the company's 4-proof protection, are water, temperature, magnetic, and X-ray-proof. They also ship with a full-size SD card adapter for devices that use the format.

“Consumers want to feel assured with their video surveillance solutions, and the need for longer-lasting, higher performing memory cards that can withstand extreme conditions and capture critical moments is at an all-time high,” said Un-Soo Kim, senior vice president of Brand Product Marketing, Memory Business at Samsung Electronics.

The Samsung Pro Endurance memory cards come in three capacities. Unsurprisingly, they’re not cheap. It’s $25 for the 32GB card, $45 for the 64GB version, and $90 for 128GB, but they could be the last SD card you need to buy for a long time.

Permalink to story.

Nice... about time for me to buy some new dash cams anyway I've been running mine for four years on the same microSD cards that came with them. Although I do format them every two weeks or so which helps them last longer.

This is all just marketing. If you read the Warranty Terms of Samsung, they still explicitly state - even for these cards -, that use in dashcams are not covered.

"Warranties provided herein do not extend to any use of the product for or with continuous recording instruments or any other write-intensive devices, including without limitation security cameras, surveillance systems, dashboard cameras, blackbox cameras, internet protocol/network cameras, continuous recording set top box devices and continuous data logging devices like servers, dedicated devices for benchmarking test, the primary drive for certain devices and any other excessive uses."

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/warranty/MB-MJ32GA/AM

This is all just marketing. If you read the Warranty Terms of Samsung, they still explicitly state - even for these cards -, that use in dashcams are not covered.

"Warranties provided herein do not extend to any use of the product for or with continuous recording instruments or any other write-intensive devices, including without limitation security cameras, surveillance systems, dashboard cameras, blackbox cameras, internet protocol/network cameras, continuous recording set top box devices and continuous data logging devices like servers, dedicated devices for benchmarking test, the primary drive for certain devices and any other excessive uses."

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/warranty/MB-MJ32GA/AM

And they call that "industry leading endurance".

"with the 128GB model able to handle up to 43,800 hours of 1080p video recording"

So exactly how slow is the frame rate? Because I don't believe that can be anything over or equal to 30 frames per second.

That is the equivalent of one hour 1080p stored in only 3MB of disk space. I wish one hour of 1080 video was only 3MB. One hour of 1080 is more like 300MB. And that would be compressed video as well.

"with the 128GB model able to handle up to 43,800 hours of 1080p video recording"

So exactly how slow is the frame rate? Because I don't believe that can be anything over or equal to 30 frames per second.

That is the equivalent of one hour 1080p stored in only 3MB of disk space. I wish one hour of 1080 video was only 3MB. One hour of 1080 is more like 300MB. And that would be compressed video as well.

It doesn't mean you have to store 43800 hours in 128 GB. If you're continuously overwriting the data, then you'll store a lot more than 128 GB.

Of course, the bigger the card, the less overwrites will happen during these 43800 hours. Which is why they claim that many hours for the biggest card, and not the 64 GB (which would need to be overwritten 400% more in the same period).

Back